Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Need first bow advice

Old 02-22-2008, 07:17 AM

Default Need first bow advice

I want to eventually get a traditional bow. How much am I looking to spend for a decent long/recurve? Where should I buy from and how do I find my draw length for finger shooting?
Old 02-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Need first bow advice

All depends. You are looking at spending anywhere between 200 bucks to a couple 1000. This topic is a tough to answer because trad shooting is a learn as you go thing, more so than a compound. All Ill suggest is to start light. Learn with a light bow, or you might find yourself developing a lot of bad habits. I would not go out and buy a hunting bow to start. Get a good light bow to learn with, then move up.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Exactly,

I also wouldn't expect that the first bow you buy will be the one you will be using forever. As such, I wouldn't start looking at expensive custom bows right away. If you can get to a largertrad shoot maybe stop by and see what is available used. Or maybe check out some local stores that carry trad equipement. Another good thing to do would be to contact Chad (LBR here) and see if he has anything in stock that might fit your bill. Chek-Mates have very good value to them. Below is my Chek-Mate, which I got from Chad, I think cost mejust under$300 at the time.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:18 AM

I don't want to spend a lot. I first learned on a long bow. How much can there really be to learn? I am not trying to sound sarcastic but I am serious. It seems pretty straight forward.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

From your first post and topic heading, I assumed that you were new to traditional all together. [&:]

Old 02-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: LostInWoods

I don't want to spend a lot. I first learned on a long bow. How much can there really be to learn? I am not trying to sound sarcastic but I am serious. It seems pretty straight forward.
I had assumed you were new by your post. Since you learned on a long bow, you know all the things about trad shooting. Back tension, release, finger orientation, push pull with brace hand and draw hand, brace adjustments, knock set, etc. etc.. Nothing different if you switch to a self bow (which is what i assume you are speaking of now since you already got the longbow down.) Besides, longbows, whether R/D, D, R, ELB, ALB, flat back, laminates, board bows, (and my latest discovery the double D R/D, im going to have to build one), ect, ect, are all considered trad bows by most..
Old 02-22-2008, 11:11 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: LostInWoods

If you learned on a longbow, you know all about it.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

acually the cheapest way to get a decent bow that i've found is to buy a U Finish bow from bowstick.com you'll have to tiller a bit but if you have access to a file/rasp, sandpaper and some form of finisher it's well worth it.