Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Glue-on broadheads

Old 01-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default Glue-on broadheads

When you are installing threaded inserts into glue-on broadheads I realize that you have to align the the tip of the broadhead with the axis of the arrow/insert. When you get a broadhead that does not want to line up no mater where you turn the broadhead on the adapter/insert what do you do? Does the alignment have to be perfect? Can it be off an millimeter or two?
Old 01-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Glue-on broadheads

I guess I've never been that picky about it or its just never been an issue or a problem for me I guess.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I guess I've never been that picky about it or its just never been an issue or a problem for me I guess.
Does that mean you don't check broadhead alignment? No spin test or anything?
Old 01-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Dnk

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Does that mean you don't check broadhead alignment? No spin test or anything?
I deffinetly do on every broad head I put on! Some of the screw on heads I get that have the inserts in already I've had to take out and do over again. I've just never had a problem with me setting them in and getting them to spin good. I guess I should of re worded my first post. After reading it I didn't make much sense! Sorry!
Old 01-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try a different insert in the broadhead.
If that don't work I'd save that broadhead for hunting small game in rocky areas.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

You've got to remember that the broadhead is designed to glue onto a tapered end of a wood shaft. When you add in the machining tolerances for a threaded insert, and then the machining tolerances on a threaded taper adapter, you've got a lot of possible ganging up of tolerances. Usually just changing to a different threaded adapter will cure the problem. Sometimes you have to change the adapter and the insert. Sometimes it takes a bit of force. I keep a 2X4 block on my table and, when I have one that just won't spin true, Ipush the broadhead against it and try to shove it into alignment. Sometimes it works; sometimes I just save that head for wood shafts.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've only had to do this recently, but my heads went on to my threaded inserts and spun nicely without much tinkering. Maybe I got lucky.
I'd say if its just one head, then bag it. But if you have problems getting them all good, then something else is probably the issue.