Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Homemade ground Blinds vs Pre-fabs? Help >

Homemade ground Blinds vs Pre-fabs? Help

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Homemade ground Blinds vs Pre-fabs? Help

Old 12-27-2007, 10:26 AM

Default Homemade ground Blinds vs Pre-fabs? Help

Hey all, hope you had a good holiday.
I have some questions I hope you all take the time to answer for me. If you have question in regards to mine, please email me.
Anyway, its in regards to homemade ground blinds vs tree or prefab blinds.

Here Goes.

How many of you make your own ground blind/stick structure?

Do you often use the same blind year after year? If so, is the main structure still there the following year? (Do you have a blind that has lastest a long time without maintence?)

Have you ever encountered other hunters blinds while in the woods walking? (not tree or prefabs but homemade ones)

WHat are the benefits of using a homemade ground blind structure compared to a store bought prefab one?

Thanks for your help all. I use to make the homemade structures I prefered for several reasons. It was alway fun to make it out of natural vegetation and allowed me to scope out the area prior to hunting. I felt the natural veg. would also aid in disguising me too. I havent used the prefab ones but it seem the visibility is limited and also the wind may rattle the plastic or canvas sides making a lot of noise. I'm doing a research project regarding this and I would appreciate hearing from all you. Tring to get a sense on how many people make and build there own stick fort style blinds vs. those who buy a prefab one already made.
Thanks again and good luck in your hunting!
Old 12-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Homemade ground Blinds vs Pre-fabs? Help

I carry a 12" machete so I can make my own from plants in the immediate area.A stick blind is free, no material flapping around in the wind,and doesn't have any odors that are foreign to the place I'm hunting. It's not intended to be permanent or to completely hide behind. Just a light screen in front of me with a good size tree behind to disguise any movement.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted heavy woods for the last 10yrs andIve always used downfall and brush.This yrs due to surgery I bought a Blind and put up permenently(spl) its been out since sept,But only because I have a CB permit.I have a path about 8yrds to the north and about 14yrds to the south of it,it is set up against some deadfall so the deer just walk around it as if its not even there.I wont use it for trad hunting nxt yr(too small).
I do alot of stalking and still hunting so I have made natual blinds as my main cover,i.e. brush piles, logs, tall grass.This yr was a bad yr for me due to shoulder surgery in Oct so Iam having TAG soup this year.In 24 yrs this is my 5th time eating tag soup.....
Old 12-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

We both make our own and use portable (or I should say will) blinds.

Below is one we (my son and I) made this past summer. I only hunted twice this year, but my friends father took a nice buck from it during shotgun season.

My son is planning on turkey hunting this spring with his longbow, so we are looking into getting a portable blind for him.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can build it in the right spot quietly, natural ground blinds are great. For spots where you can't or you need portability, the pre-fabs are great.

No reason not to have both at your disposal

I had three hunts this year in blinds, one from a natural blind and 2 from a pop up. Had shots each hunt. I was worried how the deer would react to the pop up, as I didn't brush it in, but they could care less. At one time I had 4 does within 3 yards for 20 minutes. No deer gave the blind more than a passing glance then completely ignored it.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:31 PM

thanks for the photos and info
n
Old 12-30-2007, 05:53 AM

I got a Big game escape dx for christmas and although I have only used it twice I love it. I used to use natural ground blinds but they take more time to build and you have to build one at every spot you want to hunt. The portable sets up in 30 seconds and is very mobile. Homemade blinds are cheaper but pre fabs are more portable. Beens I hunt mostly public land the portable works best for me. Someday when i own my own land I definitley going homemade.