Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Barta?

Old 11-24-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Barta?

Not too long ago, I saw the Tred Barta show. Was the one where he was hunting woodland caribou. Saw Barta take a few shots, none successfull. They looked like long shots on windy days. I was just curious about others opinions about Tred Barta. Maybe I'm the only one that thinks he's a little full of himself; doing it the hard way, the "Barta way".
Old 11-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Barta?

Tred topics always seem to pop up every couple weeks.......I happen to REALLY like his show. A lot of what he says is so off the wall, tongue in cheek and with humor pointed at himself that it's really entertaining.
He's different that's for sure! There are very few shows that I will sit and wait to watch, or look forward to watching but his is one of them.
The only problem I see is that either he's stopped filming them or stupid Versus, AKA"The TX rifle and shotgunners channel" is dropping the ball because they keep showing the same episodes over and over and frickin over.[:-][:@] That caribou one was overplayed LAST YEAR.

It would be nice to see some new episodes, everytime it comes on I get my hopes up for a second only to see the same old ones they showed 27 times last season.

Versus, please.........for the love of God.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't guess we know any compound shooting TV bowhunters who are a little full of themselves, now do we... COUGH COUGH nugent COUGH![8D]

Don't like him? Then change the freakin' channel!
Old 11-24-2007, 11:59 PM

I agree that Tred may be a little full of himself, but his show id one of the most entertaining shows I've seen in a long time. Youtell me the last time you have seen someone attempt to spot and stalk turkey with a guide, camera man, and long bow with stone tiped wooden arrows? I have a hard enough time with my compound by myself, and using decoys and a call. Granted he wasn't successful in that episode, but you’ve got to hand it to him for trying. I think that a more realistic view into trad would be Easton Reality Bowhunting with Fred Eichler. I really enjoy this show both for entertainment value, and the realistic look into the trad side of things.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:56 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I watch VERY little television. Saw a couple of episodes, didn't impress me enough to bother making it a point to see another. Then I get the 3 Rivers catalog pimping all the "Barta Gear" (practically all of it is the same stuff as they have been selling, just changed the name to include "Barta") and honestly that really turned me off. Plain-Jane wood arrows with one barred feather are $75 because they are "Tred Barta Arrows"? Give me a break--they are even shown beside their "Hunter" arrows, that have a dab of cresting (otherwise the same thing) and are $5 cheaper.

No doubt I'm envious of a guy that can make a living hunting and fishing, I just hate the pimping.

Chad
Old 11-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LBR

No doubt I'm envious of a guy that can make a living hunting and fishing, I just hate the pimping.

Chad
Chuck Adams does that better then anyone I know! Makes me sick!
Old 11-25-2007, 03:35 PM

Arthur, I was not trying to say that Tred is the only one full of himself, I guess it just irked me a little that he does things the "Barta Way". It is good to see a show that uses trad. gear, but I guess I had my hopes set a little high. I guess I expected a trad. shooter to be a little more humble, and to take more responsible shots. Now don't go off on me, I'm sure its hard to get close shots on film, but the public may base its trad. views on Barta. Since I've only seen the one episode I feel out of my element and am trying to be careful with my hasty comments. I just hope he's not giving the public a poor view of trad. hunters and their effectiveness.
Chad I completely agree with you on the barta gear.

I hope that Tred has the support that some of you seem to show, and will pave the way for future trad. shows!

Also agree with the Arthur on the nugent comment, guess that's what it takes for good T.V.

P.S. when did Wensels take their name off of the woodsman?
Old 11-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have to admit I'm not particularly fond of the situation we're in, where Barta is about the only traditional bowhunter on TV. I'd very much like to see Byron Ferguson's show brought back, because it was darn good. In my opinion, he's a much better representative for traditional bowhunting than Barta is. But until I get hired as a programming exec for Versus or ESPN or one of the other networks with outdoor programming, which ain't very likely, I guess we gotta make do with what we've got.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

I watch alot of the outdoor channel. I am amazed at some of the shots taken by the guys even with compounds. I watched a guy shoot at a deer at 68 yards. He then had to let deer lay in woods over night and find it in the morning.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

All of these shows are completely about the pimping of whatever the sponsor of the week is. It does gat little old with all the comercials, but it is what it is. If we didnt have that, we'd have nothing. As far as gving traditional guys or any hunters a bad name, the only people watching these shows are people who are interested in hunting, not some guy who just happened to flick it on and leave it just to see what happens. I know someone could chime in about the antis and all but all they have to do is punch up the internet and they can get all the fuel they need and want and then some.

Quick Reply: Barta?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.