Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Bowtype for a starter? >

Bowtype for a starter?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Bowtype for a starter?

Old 11-21-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Bowtype for a starter?

Hello there!

I am a lad with the age of 20, thinking about starting archery, and eventually, bowhunting.

Whats the main differences in longbows, recurvebows, and riding bows like the hungarian and turkish types?

I'm 170 cms tall, and it would at least have to pull in the ballpark of 50-60 lbs.

Any recommendations?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowtype for a starter?

Best recommendation is to try and go somewhere you can shoot all kinds of bows. Your first bow is most likely NOT going to be THE ONE. As you spend time you will learn what you like and don't like in a bow and what you shoot better. Some spend their whole lives trading bows trying to find THE ONE, some find it on their second try. The more you can shoot before making your purchase the better advised you will be on what YOU are looking for. I'd suggest starting in the lower poundage range (40-50#) with either a longbow or recurve of decent length (60"+), which style is up to you. Try both before deciding.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh my! There are entire books written dealing with the questions you're asking! Briefly:

The traditional English longbow is all wood and, when strung, forms a continuous arc from one nock, through the handle, to the other nock. The string does not touch the limbs anywhere except in the nocks. The limbs have a "D" shape in cross section. The handle area is best defined as where the limbs meet. There is no structurally defined handle and the arrow is rested on the knuckle during the draw and shot.

An American longbow has a definite handle section, limbs are laminated wood with fiberglass on the back and belly and are flat in cross section. It also forms the one continuous arc when strung. It has a small shelf on which the arrow rests during the draw and shot.

A western style recurve bow has a pronounced handle section, and usually a much larger shelf for the arrow. Some are designed to be shot with an elevated rest of some type. The limbs are wide and very flat in cross section. The most defining feature of a recurve is the limb profile. Whe strung, the limbs curve back toward the shooter and then the ends re-curve away from the shooter. When drawn, the recurves straighten out somewhat and give the arrow a little extra power when they come back to rest. This is likened to the difference between a good wrist snap when throwing a ball vs keeping the wrist straight. The string contacts the limbs when the bow is at rest.

The Hungarian/Turkish style horse bow recurve is similar in profile to the western recurve, with the ends of the limbs bending forward, away from the shooter. Like the English longbow, there is traditionally no structural handle area. Another point that differs between the this type and the western recurve is the recurve areas of the limbs (the siyahs) are non-working, or 'static'. They are basically levers. Where the western type recurve works through the full limb length, the Hungarian style condenses all that work load into short areas of each limb. It is a highly stressed design.

While the Hungarian style bow can be shot with the typical 3-finger release method with the arrow mounted on the side of the bow closest to the shooter, as is done in most cultures, it is most correctly shot using the Asian method with a thumb release with the arrow mounted on the opposite side of the bow and the arrow resting over the thumb. Here is a step by step pictorial on the shooting method: http://www.koreanarchery.org/thumbrng.html

Of course, now you can get bows that combine features of one type of bow with features of another type. Hybrids. Semi-longbows, semi-recurves, recurves with longbow handles, longbows with recurve handles. The variety is endless, it seems.

As to which is best for a beginning archer, in my opinion it is the western type recurve. As Talondale says, it would be best to get a lighter draw weight for learning. But I understand that what is best often doesn't match up well with budget and availability. If you absolutely must have a 50 pound minimum draw weight, then so be it. Stay with 50 pounds for now.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:08 PM

Very fulfilling reply indeed! I will take it all into consideration.

Only reason for me going for a minimum 50lbs. is that it is the minimum the Danish law requires for bowhunting.

So why not start out with that i figured.

Kind regards, LasseNC
Old 11-22-2007, 08:02 AM

You may want to look at getting a take down Bow and get something between 30 and 35 pounds draw weight.If go out and get a 50 pound draw weight you will find it very hard not to shake when the bow is fully drawn if you can draw it that is,and do not forget you will have to hold that 50 pounds for 10 seconds or longer.Also the reason why I say look into a take down bow is because once you have built your strenght up enough then purchase your 50 pound limbs.One other thing to remeber is that most people do not use the muscle's you use to draw a bow a friend of mine who is fairly strong had a bit of trouble trying to draw my 46 pound recurve.If you practice 3 or 4 times a week with a bow with a lighter draw weight you will be able to draw a bow with a higher draw weight in know time.Also do look at itlike it is a waste of moneyto buy a take down bow and a second set of limbs because I prefer a lighter draw weight when I just want to do some target practice and have somefun.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:05 PM

Can't tell you what bow to shoot, I started with a recurve but now shoot a longbow only. I shoot thembetter nad they just appeal to me more. As far as the poundage goes get a take down and get limbs in the 30-40# range and also get a set 50-55# limbs. then practice, parctice, practice with the light lbs until you have your form consistant. Then maybe 3 times a week put on the heavy limbs and practice with them until they become easy. Don't jump into it with the higher weight IMO it will just cause you more problems and IMO it will slow the properlearning process down. Good luck and enjoy.