Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Wanting to shoot a recurve >

Wanting to shoot a recurve

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Wanting to shoot a recurve

Old 11-05-2007, 12:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wanting to shoot a recurve

Thinking about giving it a try next fall... Whats a decent bow to start out with???
Old 11-05-2007, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wanting to shoot a recurve

Well, you could go to the second hand market and get find a good deal on a lot of good bows. If you want to start out with a brand new bow, then I don't think there's a better bang for the buck than ChekMate. I bet you can find something you'd like here:

www.recurves.com
Old 11-17-2007, 04:58 AM

Dude,
Go on eBay and look around. There are some nice LIGHTLY used Bear recurves to be had for LESS than $200! In some cases, less than $150 even! The 70's Bear Kodiak Hunter's and Kodiak Mags are beautiful and come in green stained woods and browns. They shoot well, look great and ARE classics for collector's alike! It's a great way to get a nice bow and save a lot of money! The prices today for brand new Martins are ridiculous! $550 for a stock recurve! Thats crazy! That's once thing paying that kind of money for a custom Black Widow recurve but NOT for a stock bow! I've had some of the Martin recurves. They don't shoot any better than the used Bear bows IMHO!
Old 11-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

Buying new, chekmate get's the best bang for the buck award, particularly the hunter II. I like a few of Martin/Howatt's line, the hunter, savannah and the mamba but your best bet, price wise,is to look on the used market for one. Many of the older bear bows are still very servicable weapons. Check out the classifieds here, on tradgang, the leatherwall, tradtalk and archery talk. You can find some great deals on used equipment.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:24 AM

I would have to agree I have a checkmate falcon.If I buy another it will be checkmate and thats final.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:36 PM

Bear is not out of the tradition market whatsoever, they offer 3 styles of traditional bow for any price range, if you havent started yet try used first or somewhere you can get a chance to shoot one
Old 11-21-2007, 04:27 PM

I got the Chekmate Falcon for my first recurve and it is sweet to shoot although I have nothing to compare it against.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:10 PM

I am going with the majority on this one. My first two recurves were the Falcon and the Falcon Deluxe. Great bow and very nicely priced. I would still be shooting mine except I am a longbow shooter now.