Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Is Bow Fishing a good way to learn to shoot? >

Is Bow Fishing a good way to learn to shoot?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Is Bow Fishing a good way to learn to shoot?

Old 01-21-2003, 12:53 PM

Default Is Bow Fishing a good way to learn to shoot?

Just what is says do you feel that bow fishing helps you to learn to shoot with more acuaracy?

"Born to Hunt Forced To Work"
Old 01-21-2003, 01:13 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Is Bow Fishing a good way to learn to shoot?

In my opinion, no. About the only thing it will do is build up your shooting muscles. The action is often fast and furious, and there is a lot of guesswork involved. You have to figure how deep the water is and allow for that, and usually don't have much time at all to get a shot off, so you won't be thinking about coming to a full draw, proper anchor, release, etc. It is loads of fun though!

Chad

Long Bows Rule!
Old 01-21-2003, 01:14 PM

Learning how to shoot begins with working on good form in front of a target butt. In fact I'd venture to say that all accuracy eventually comes back to shooting at the target butt. I would not advise learning how to shoot while bowfishing considering you'll be shooting at akward angles. If your form isn't solid from a basic stance, your faults will be largely exaggerated from an akward angle.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

I WOULD ALSO SAY NO. YOU SHOOT ALOT BUT YOU HAVE TO SHOOT LOW TO HIT THE FISH. I WAS SHOOTING MY RECURVE RECURVE A FEW YEARS AGO ON A TRIP TO FLORIDA. SHOOTING FISH DURING MID DAY AND TRYING FOR PIGS IN MORNING AND EVENING. ONE MORNING I MISSED TWO 90-100 LB PIGS AT LESS THAN 20 YARDS, ONE FROM TREE STAND AND ONE FROM GROUND I WAS LOW BOTH TIMES. THAT DAY I DID NOT GO AFTER FISH I PRACTICED AT THE 3-D TARGET FOR ABOUT AN HOUR AND KILLED A 250 LB BOAR THAT NIGHT. I ALSO DON'T THINK REGULAR SHOOTING AT THE COMPUTER GENERATED TARGETS IS GOOD FOR INSTINCTIVE SHOOTER. YOU ARE SHOOTING A FIXED DISTANCE BUT THE TARGETS SIZE MAKES THEM APPEAR AT DIFFERENT SO THIS CAN SCREW UP YOUR "ONBOARD COMPUTER" BETWEEN YOUR EARS. I GUESS SOME SYSTEMS TAKE THAT IN TO ACCOUNT BUT NOT THE ONES I HAVE SHOT. ONCE YOU GET YOUR BASIC FORM DOWN GET A FEW JUDO POINTS AND GO FOR A WALK "STUMP SHOOTING" THEN YOU HAVE VARING DISTANCES YOUR BRAIN HAS TO ADJUST TO. ORGANIZED 3-D SHOOTS ( ONE SHOT AT UNKNOWN DISTANCE)CAN BE GOOD AS WELL.- GOOD LUCK- PAT
Old 01-21-2003, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

I will go against what the others say and say yes it does help. Anytime you are shooting a bow and arrow is practice towards perfect shooting. Why would bow fishing be different it is hunting in its purest form. It seems like the fish show up where I least expect them just like deer do and I am getting off a quick shot which usually misses.

Old 01-21-2003, 03:17 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Yes, no, yes, no....let's see....I'm going to say....YES.

Bowfishing will teach you a lot of valuable shooting skills for hunting, especially if you hunt from a treestand. It will teach you to shoot from many different positions, any many different angles, and with speed and precision.

I joke around about it, but the 10-pointer I shot in November was three yards from the base of the tree, with me 14' up, when he took a Woodsman through the heart. It was like shooting a big carp with antlers; bent over, canted bow, hard angle. If I hadn't spent as much time as I did climbing out of deadfalls to shoot fish, I highly doubt I could have pulled off that shot.

I also agree with what others have said. You have to get the fundamentals down first, then work on flexibility. IMO bowfishing is one of the best ways to gain that flexibility.

JRW
Old 01-21-2003, 04:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-21-2003, 05:39 PM

Bow Hunter Brandon: Possibly some of us are uncertain if you're a beginning archer or rather an established archer just looking for another way to improve your shooting. I think most would agree if you're just starting out, then get your form down. If you've been shooting for a while then by all means, shoot under as many different situations as you can put yourself into.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:00 AM

Hi, Some of you may know me as One Eye. I changed my name a while ago.

I do shoot a 25# recurve when ever I get the chance. I also shoot my compound (with sights or course) and for the time being hunt with this bow. I am interested in shooting a heavier traditional bow and in time going after large game. I have bow fished in the past and enjoyed it but always with an older compound. This summer I hope to have a 45# recurve to go after fish with and also work on improving my instinctive skills on a target in the back yard.
My hope is to be able to go after small game in the fall and deer the following year but we will see.

In general I started this thread to stimulate some conversation on bow fishing.
Hope this info helps.

"Born to Hunt Forced To Work"