Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Learn to shoot around your peep site >

Learn to shoot around your peep site

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Learn to shoot around your peep site

Old 06-22-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Learn to shoot around your peep site

I learned this about 5-6 years ago when I couldn't release on the biggest white tail I had ever seen. He had two drop tines. I had to let the bow down. He spooked. I have never seen him since. The next day I logged onto some web site and asked the qestion what to do if it is still legal shooting hours and you come to full draw but can't see through the peep. Besides all the sarcastic remarks I remembered one that said to lear (before the hunt) to shoot around the peep so that if this problem arises you will be prepared. I have a flat spot on the left side of my peep. I align the corect pin to the edge and center of the flat spot. This will not hit the same spot as looking through the peep. For me, this is accurate up to 30 yards. At 30 yards, I hit 8 inches left of the intended target. I just adjust for this before the shot. Ishoot 8 inches right. I have used this tactic twice while bow hunting. The first time I forgot to adjust. Luckily for me the deer was facing to my left and it passed harmlessly in front of him. The second one hit the mark and provided a 116 7/8 inch P&Y for the wall. At the time it was my biggest. I practice this by placing a very small piece of electrical tape in the peep hole. When you begin, put two targets side by side and shoot for the middle. This should ensure the arrow hits one of the targets.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:32 AM

Default RE: Learn to shoot around your peep site

why not drop the peep then and never have to worry about it ?
Old 06-22-2005, 10:37 AM

I just learned to shoot with both eyes open. Basically you gain the effects of shooting around the peep while still shooting through it.

If you shoot with just one eye open, try this. Next time you shoot, draw, anchor and aim as you normally would. Then open your second eye before shooting. Repeat this over and over and it will become second nature and helps a lot in lower light conditions.

Good luck.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

i though it was 125 for p&y
but thats something fore me to keep in mind
Old 06-22-2005, 10:45 AM

It is 125 to get in P&Y. I had it scorred by a P&Y judge and that is what he called it to designate it being taken with a bow and not a rifle. I am not sure if B&C scores the same or not.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:49 AM

I took the peep off of my string about a month ago for this very reason. It only took 2 days of evening shooting to shoot as good with just a kisser button. Now that I have been shooting with the kisser for a month, I am shooting MORE accurate than with the peep.

I'll never go back.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:21 PM

why dont ya get rid of the peep, and then the sites.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:24 PM

adams - the vast majority of the population is cross dominant - shooting with both eyes open and trying to use/not use the peep would create sighting nightmares

I know, I've been there !
Old 06-22-2005, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

the vast majority of the population is cross dominant
I fall into this category. I've tried to shoot with both eyes open and 3 shots will be dead on, two will be 4 inches to one side. There is no consistency as to when the other eye will decide to take over and I can't tell while aiming so I have to close one eye.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the tip. I will give this a whirl. This would seem to fall along the same line of tips as for when someone's string loop breaks and they are forced to shoot under the loop.....or when someone looses their releases or just plain forgets it and needs to shoot the bow with fingers.

Way to think ahead.

Quick Reply: Learn to shoot around your peep site

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.