Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 So you want to learn how to shoot backtension....full write up (pics) >

So you want to learn how to shoot backtension....full write up (pics)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So you want to learn how to shoot backtension....full write up (pics)

Old 03-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default So you want to learn how to shoot backtension....full write up (pics)

One of the fewly agreed aspects of archery , is that the “best” way to shoot a bow, is by utilizing back tension. Now, it’s also agreed that the most accurate way to shoot is to punch, I mean, it’s simple, just put the pin there and pull the trigger. That doesn’t sound too hard does it? Anyone who has shot a bow for any length of time, and has shot a trigger release, knows this is MUCH easier said than done. It doesn’t take long and you have a serious case of target panic. Also, anyone who has battled target panic knows, just how frustrating it can be.

This is where, back tension comes into play. At one time in my life, I thought back tension was some kind of ancient Chinese art that only a few “chosen” ones can do. That is far from the truth. It’s much easier than some may think, and the upside to it, is phenomenal. I’ve been tossing around the idea of writing this up for a while, and I finally decided to do it.

Some may think that back tension can only be applied with certain types of releases, such as pure back tension releases. This is simply not true, back tension can be employed with any release. Granted, it may be harder to execute with a wrist strap release, but it is possible.

Since it’s what I mentioned first we will talk about how to employ back tension with a wrist strap style release. The first thing you want to do is make sure you have your release short enough so you can really “hook” your finger around the trigger. See how this guy pictured below, is able to wrap his finger around the trigger? This is what you are trying to achieve. You could even lay more of your finger on the trigger if you wish to do so.

After wrapping your finger around the trigger at full draw, you want to start “pulling” with your back and squeezing your shoulder blades together. It’s kind of a push/pull method. You are trying to achieve a “surprise” release. It will be hard to complete at first, because you are used to anticipating when the bow will go off. When you get that surprise release, you’ll know it, some people almost literally go through the roof.

Probably the single most important thing to remember is while you are constantly pulling, is that you need to be staring at what you want to hit. You ALWAYS need to be concentrating and staring at that spot. It’s really a neat system, it still amazes me, the fact your pin can be going all over the place, and you just be staring at the spot, and the arrow hits where you are looking. It truly amazes me, still to this day.

The “other” types of releases are T-Handle/Thumb triggers, and pure back tension releases. These are MUCH easier to use back tension on, and they are usually the top pick among target archers, and some hunters.

My personal choice is a pure back tension release. They are a different animal to someone who is new, and not used to using one. They really will scare the daylights out of you and especially if you have it go off while you are drawing.

There are many correct and incorrect ways to shoot them. The objective still remains the same, you are trying to achieve a surprise release. Some people will really “get a handful” of their release, and grip it as tight as they can, and just push and pull like crazy. Another way to shoot them is just to try relax and let the release bleed through your fingers. I’m somewhere in between the two. One thing you don’t want to do is, you don’t want to get the pin where you want it, and just manipulate the release to get it to go off. This isn’t any different than punching the release. The pure back tension release is the easiest one to learn how to shoot correctly in my opinion.

Here is another one of my buddies, shooting a pure BT release.

Here is me shooting a pure BT release. I'm letting it bleed through my hands here, I was having a little trouble getting the release to go off in a timely manner this particular day.

Here are some pictures of one of my buddies, Jamie Shaffer’s follow through. It shows the push pull method very well.

(before)

(after)

The other type of release that many archers choose to use is a T-Handle/ Thumb trigger release. Jamie, pictured above, uses a thumb trigger. He uses a Carter Chocolate Addiction.

This can be a VERY tough release for the beginning archer to learn. If they are battling target panic, they will still attempt to anticipate the release and punch the trigger at the same time. It can get very ugly without proper instruction, or knowing how to properly use one. The key to shooting a thumb trigger is wrapping your thumb around the trigger, and have the release “tight” enough to apply some pressure to it, without it going off. After wrapping your thumb around the trigger, you are still going to apply constant pressure with your bow arm and “squeeze” with your back. Imagine you are trying to pinch something between your shoulder blades. That is the feel you are trying to achieve. Dave Cousins is probably the best there is at executing shots, he uses a thumb trigger. He just won Vegas with one. I would say most of you have seen the little video clip TFOX uses a lot, of him breaking a shot off. I’m going to try to dig it up, if not, I’d love for him to send it to me or post it here.

Guys, I hope you could take a little something away from this post, I put some real time into typing this one and thinking it out. Back tension archers as a whole, not just target archers, it also includes bowhunters.[/i][/b]
Old 03-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: So you want to learn how to shoot backtension....full write up

great post
Old 03-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not hard to find,he has his own web site.

Here is the little video I made.My wrist release doesn't exactly show good bt but imo,is a good hunting style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxOwEPsvHVQ
Old 03-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks TFOX for comming through in the clutch
Old 03-05-2008, 08:47 PM

Interesting read, Matt.

Not sure I agree with some of it, but its all opinion stuff.

Nice job, I'm sure there will be quite a few people who decide to at least try BT.

(If anyone punches themselves in the face, be sure to post about it. I would like to laugh at your expense. )
Old 03-05-2008, 09:38 PM

Great post!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting stuff that i would like to try one day, but i believe i need to settle where im at first.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Wash.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good post!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:46 AM

GREAT POST, I USE THE SAME METHOD. IT HAS REALLY HELPED WITH CONSTANT SHOOTING FOR ME. I HAVE HELPED SEVERAL NEW ARCHERS WITH THE SAME IDEAS POSTED ABOVE WITH GOOD RESULTS. I THINK ALOT OF YOUNG HUNTERS CAN DO WELL WITH THIS POST. I FIRST SEEN IT ONA VIDEO SEVERAL YEARS AGO, BUT CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF IT.

Quick Reply: So you want to learn how to shoot backtension....full write up (pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.