Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

BearHair or SealSkin

Old 04-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: BearHair or SealSkin

Personally, I use leather on my longbows. I also have used pretty much everything and find the seal skin a bit expensive.

Dnk, here is a pretty good representation of what is happening:

Old 04-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Bob, does that mean that the feathers do a pretty good job of folding away? Does that mean that a arrow with more grains per inch will fly better because of the minor disturbance to the feathers? If so what weight per inch is a good starting point? Or an I just being a duffus and who cares about feather contact?
Looking at the right set of drawings it looks like the shaft makes good contact with the bow (I'm guessing from the string rolling off the fingers), is that correct? This stuff is pretty interesting!
Old 04-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

The rest has been on the bow a long time so i think the adhesive got brittle and has begun to pull up. Just was wonderin' what ya'll use. thanks for the great info keep it comin!

Old 04-10-2007, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bob, does that mean that the feathers do a pretty good job of folding away? Does that mean that a arrow with more grains per inch will fly better because of the minor disturbance to the feathers? If so what weight per inch is a good starting point? Or an I just being a duffus and who cares about feather contact?
Looking at the right set of drawings it looks like the shaft makes good contact with the bow (I'm guessing from the string rolling off the fingers), is that correct? This stuff is pretty interesting!
Yes, the feathers have to fold away if you are shooting off the riser. If you get a chance go to Foxfire Archery, Arrows by Kelly and read about their theoy of using four fletch arrows 60/120 and fletch contact. If you are using an elevated rest, you can get away using vanes. I'd imagine using a heavier arrow would be a little more stableconcerning fletching contact, however having the proper spined arrows will be the more important. If the arrow contacts the riser, you will have problems. I don't really think of grains per inch, rather I use total arrow weight. In general, I like to use at least 10 grains per pound. This would equate to a minimum 600 grain arrow for a 60 pound draw. The right set of drawings shows archers paradox. It is suppose to be an overhead representation of the arrow and the riser as the arrow is released. Below is another representation that may be helpful. It shows how a properly spined arrow reacts as it clears the riser.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:13 AM

Shark Skin works well too. Just another one of the 100 options to look at.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:23 PM

Anyone ever try "moleskin"?? (The stuff you'd cut a patch from to cover a foot blister)

It was always pretty tough stuff and stayed on my foot until worn away when I used it. I also put it around the shelf of my compound bow to quiet the "tap..tap" when knocking an arrow a few years ago and it'sstill stuck to my bow...
Old 04-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, I use/used it. I usually will not use anything spongy on the side plate however.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:43 PM

What type of adhesive would anyone recommend??
Old 05-07-2007, 08:26 PM

I have a seal skin on mine but most of the hair is gone. I just leave it as it is. Flies just fine off the leather. Unless it's buggin you just let it be.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

What type of adhesive would anyone recommend??
I use Barge Cement:

Here

Quick Reply: BearHair or SealSkin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.