Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

BearHair or SealSkin

Old 04-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default BearHair or SealSkin

Hey guys finally got home from school this weekend and got to shoot my recurve, i'm getting alot better. I noticed this weekend that my BearHair and strike plate are very worn. What is the best way to remove these without hurting the bow? As far as replacements go, BearHair or SealSkin? Any opinions?
Old 04-08-2007, 04:50 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: BearHair or SealSkin

Should just peel right up. Might have to remove the adviesive with something. But shouldn't be hard. I have used both. I usually go with bearhair, but sealskin works as well.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

My uncle has a longbow and he uses calf hair rest and plate and it wears off pretty quick. But I'd probably go with sealskin. Do you got any pictures of it and what brand bow is it?
EnglishHope
Old 04-08-2007, 05:56 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Both are over-priced IMO. Calf skin, or if you want to be economical the fuzzy side of Velcro works just fine. I've used all of the above and can't tell much difference. I have been using seal skin for a while, because I like the look and got a great deal on a bunch of scraps.

Chad
Old 04-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

English it is an old Browning Wasp 40#@28" that my girlfriend's dad gave me.It had just been hangin' in his shop for years and is in exellent condition. Unfortunately i don't have any pics, i didn't think to take any while i was home and have returned to school. But i will take some and post them the next chance i get! LBR, where do you get the calfskin rests? I haven't seen them in NEET, orBowhunters Superstore.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I'm new at this so please forgive the dumb question. Are the leather rests any good?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:05 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Dnk

I'm new at this so please forgive the dumb question. Are the leather rests any good?
Really, if your arrow is right spine for the bow, it shouldn't make a difference which rest you have.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:01 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Lone Wolf, Kustom King, and 3 Rivers has them. I like the ones Kustom King (and I think Lone Wolf has them also) sells--larger and seem to stick better than the ones from 3 Rivers. Leather works for a strike plate/rug rest also.

If you are wearing any of them out quick, most likely there is a problem: sharp leading edge on a feather, bad release, or wrong arrow spine. I can't remember how often I change mine out, but I'm sure it's not more than once a year, maybe two years. The one I have on my longbow now has been on it several months and looks brand new.

Chad
Old 04-09-2007, 07:33 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Really, if your arrow is right spine for the bow, it shouldn't make a difference which rest you have.
Mark, from what I've gathered from reading and experience with other archery equipment am I to understand that the arrow doesn't slide on the rest very much at all? Does arrow flex and lift away from the rest pretty much right away?

Old 04-09-2007, 07:38 AM
bigcountry

Mark, from what I've gathered from reading and experience with other archery equipment am I to understand that the arrow doesn't slide on the rest very much at all? Does arrow flex and lift away from the rest pretty much right away?
Thats the plan. Of course there is going to be some contact. But LBR is the man to ask, as he probably shoots 10X more than me.

Thats the reason, some people with longbows have to use an arrow with weak spine cause their shelf cutout is definately not on center with teh bow limbs. So they have to find a spine to wrap around consistently.

Quick Reply: BearHair or SealSkin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.