Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Some interesting (yet boring at the same time)stats on my stuff....... >

Some interesting (yet boring at the same time)stats on my stuff.......

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Some interesting (yet boring at the same time)stats on my stuff.......

Old 02-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Some interesting (yet boring at the same time)stats on my stuff.......

For one.......my draw length is longer than I thought it was.[:-]
I am shooting 3 fingers under and really spent some time figuring out what my true draw length REALLY is. I drew and and redrew over and over hitting my consistent anchor and then tied a piece of release rope around an arrow shaft to mark the distance to the front of the riser.
On all 3 of my bows Ihold anchor atexactly 29 7/8" to the front of the riser. I overdraw slightly to about 30 1/8" and settle in quietly to 29 7/8"

I find that very interesting since I have heard many times that you will draw an inch or 2 shorter than you would on a compound........either everyone else is overdrawn on a compound or I'm an odd ball.
With a release (either handheld or wrist style) I shoot a 29.5" AMO draw length on a compound with a 1/2" loop for a total of 30" to my anchor.
I shoot a 30"AMO draw lengthif I'm shooting off the string.

So my compound and my traditional bows are essentially the same draw length to hit my anchors........Is that odd?
My anchor on my trad bows is very consistent and comfortable with my middle finger in the corner of my mouth and arrow under my eye. (High wrist just short of locked bow arm, relaxed open grip)

Next I wanted to see what the bows were doing # wise at 30" which I really wanted to know because they have very different feels at that length.

Bear Montana Longbow 64" , 55# @ 28"
At 30" is drawing 61.46#

Bear Kodiak Hunter 60" , 50X# @ 28"
At 30" is drawing 58.12#

Shakespeare Necedah 58", 50# @ 28"
At 30" is drawing 55.61#

The funny part is that I am most comfortable at anchor, and by far most accurate with the heaviest of the 3.........the longbow. I'm guessing that the longer (I almost said ATA length) overall length of the longbow compliments my height and draw length a little better? (6'3")

In any event.......just sharing some random ramblings from tonight festivities.
Looks like If I break down and order a custom bow at some point I'm going to probably look to stay in that 58-60# range at 30" because it's not too much weight even for not shooting much lately and really casts an arrow with authority.
Still amazed that my draw lengthhas evolved to bethat long, when I first picked up my 50# Pearson Hunter last year I bet I couldn't draw it to 28" and hold it consistently.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Some interesting (yet boring at the same time)stats on my stuff.......

Now Matt why did you have to go and do that! LOL! Now I'm going to be in my shop and my backyard tomorrow questioning everything!
Old 02-24-2007, 06:39 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Some interesting (yet boring at the same time)stats on my stuff.......

You are an oddball![8D]

Not really--everyone is different, and some of us just don't fit the general mold. I used to draw 32" on my longbow (had several folks check me when I wasn't aware--no arrow sticking past the shelf), until I changed my anchor points. Now I draw 30.5". I drew 32-33" on a compound.

Things change as we develop and refine our shooting styles, build up muscles, and try out different bows. I'll still draw about 32" on a high-wrist recurve, but I prefer a medium wrist grip.

The length of the longbow probably is a factor, and/or you may just be more suited to a longbow. I can't tell you why, but I much rather shoot a longbow myself.

Btw, not a boring read at all!

Chad
Old 02-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

Then I'm in the oddball category as well. Back in the day when I shot compounds my draw was 30", still is 30" with a 'curve. Shot just with fingers as releases were just a "fad" item for most compound shooters then.

Matt, at least guys like us can reach things on the top shelf...

RC
Old 02-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

How you turn your shoulders without moving your bow arm, your neck and head posture will effect your DL(as long as you anchor to the same spot like your middle finger in the corner of your mouth)....as well as your left arm elbow Position, and hand position on your grip....ill bet you could change a few things and have your Draw length all over the place(longer, shorter)....just depends on the person...as long as you are comfortable and shooting accurate no worries.

what im saying is that a little bit in all these areas can add up to alot....nothing is really too suprising in trad archery[8D]