Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Let's talk camo

Old 01-31-2007, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Let's talk camo

I don't give camo much thought while I'm hunting deer. Heck, I've had deer come up and sniff the back of my neck while I forced myself to be sitting still as a bump on a log, wearing a brown plaid shirt and olive drab pants. It's not so much the pattern as it is how still you are while wearing it.

It does take some effort to keep stock still while deer snot is running down the back of your neck. That's a fact.

Now, when I'm hunting birds, mourning dove, waterfowl and turkey especially, that's when I can't get enough camo.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:19 AM

I use straight up military surplus camo. Regular army woodland pattern or the new digital stuff both blend in well for most of the hunting that I do. Using a little bit a blind when I'm on the ground and I can vanish anywhere.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:53 PM
Spike

I've used Predator for years, in Fall Grey, Fall Brown, and most recently Deception.

I will tell you that if you cannot try it on for sizing they run tall and thin in size - the guys who developed this stuff look like bean poles so go figure.

My early stuff was cotton and the fall brown was devestating on hiding my movement on the ground - which is where I did most of my hunting at that time. I recently picked up a Warp Knit Deception jacket, and can tell you that with a pair of the Warp knit bibs you could hunt as cold as it gets with no trouble, and the pattern would hide your movement on the ground as well as the Fall Brown.

As others have stated anything will work if you can remain motionless, but if you want something that will let you move and hide that movement the open pattern camo cannot be beat. I cannot speak as to how the bucksuede material feels or retains body heat, but imagine it is similar to the other poly blends that are low nap and tough as nails.

My only gripe on Predator is their limited garment selection, and features, but there are co's who have licensed the pattern and will custom a garment for you to your specs - $
Old 02-01-2007, 01:08 PM

Well I went with the Asat 3-d suit. Can wait to try it I am mostly a ground hunter and also I like that I can layer under if I want. Thanks for the opinions guys.