Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 lets talk Fred Bear (just finished a book on him) >

lets talk Fred Bear (just finished a book on him)

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

lets talk Fred Bear (just finished a book on him)

Old 02-06-2007, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: lets talk Fred Bear (just finished a book on him)

Shooting bales, or even 3-D targets in the back yard or by yourself at the range is different. 3-D isn't hunting, but it's as close as you'll come. You have pressure, you have unknown yardages, uphill, downhill, through the bushes, etc. Lots of shots you probably wouldn't attempt on a live animal, but they still help over-all. Besides that, it's a lot of fun.
I agree with ya LBR, things are a lot different outside the "comfort zone".
Old 02-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fred Bear did not want to be known as a legend. He was actually a very simple man. My uncle is a retired Vice President of sales at Bear Archery. He retired a few years back(about ten). He spent 30 years working with Fred on a day in day out basis. I met Mr. Bear on several occasions. And he deserves the title of Mr.

I met him at Grousehaven when I was a young buck. My uncle took me trout fishing with him up in Grayling. I took several trips to Gainesville over the years to fish lake Orange with my uncle. Mr. Bear worked with an oxygen tank for his last few years. I watched him shoot his bow in the parking lot, out in front of the building. He could hit target from one end of the parking lot to the other, and over the top of the cars. I do not know if you believe me, but I know it to be true. He was truly a great man. That is how I care to remember him. Tom.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like you had some great memories! You're a lucky man to have been around him.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Tom,
You nailed it with this post. My dad hunted with Fred many times and went to Grousehaven to hunt with Fred as well. I got to spend some time with Fred when they had the Pope & Young convention in Tulsa Oklahoma the year before Fred died. He came over to the house for dinner. It was great just listeneing to him talk about some of his trips. I also took some video that I have somewhere. I remember him telling people that he didn't want people to feel sorry for him because he had to carry that tank around. He said it was filled with his favorite peppermint Schnapps. He always took the time to talk to anybody. He was great for our sport.

Darrall
Old 02-07-2007, 12:11 PM

He could hit target from one end of the parking lot to the other, and over the top of the cars.
and he missed, quite often according to this field notes.

I'm not half the shot Fred was ........ what then would that indicate about the level of success I could expect to achieve ?
Old 02-10-2007, 01:51 PM

MEN,
I have all the books on Fred and all his videos He iswith out a doubt the single and the greatest influence on Archery & bowhunting as we know it today, no one before him or after him has given so much.
Tj