Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lets talk about backpacks >

Lets talk about backpacks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lets talk about backpacks

Old 12-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lets talk about backpacks

Here is my predicament. I've been using a Badlands Monster fanny pack for 3 seasons. Its served me well, but its just a tad on the small side and doesn't have enough pockets for my needs. So, I'm going to start looking for a new one.

I hunt out of a stand 99% of the time. I carry quite a bit of my outer clothing in with me to avoid getting sweated up.With the Monster, I lash my jacket and such on it put it on and then slide my climber over top. Its a little wierd, but has worked ok.

I just got a Lone Wolf this season and it packs much better than my Summit. Feels quite a bit lighter on my back. So, I got to thinking about changing packs to something a little easier to strap onto the climber. I'm trying to lighten my setup as much as possible.

Now, what I just realized is the sheer weight of the Badlands packs. The monster weighs almost 3lbs by itself! I believe the larger Badlands packs weight 4lbs or more. So with a loaded pack and treestand, i'm lugging 30lbs into the woods.

What is everyone using for a day pack for treestand hunting?
Old 12-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lets talk about backpacks

This was my first season with the monster fanny, and I can't really see myself switching packs for what I use it for.

It is the perfect size, for me. I don't pack in stands, or anything like that. So it works for what I need it to work for.

It will be a nice turkey pack, also.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Upgraded to a new scent-loc back pack this year and used it twice before going back to the old one.
I didn't like the design much and with my old pack everything has it's place.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Spike

I have been looking at the spot n stalk. Anyone used it yet?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm CHEAP, but in all honesty, one of the packs at Wal-Mart is as good as I've found and I passed it on to a buddy when I got a good deal on one from BassPro, but both were just as good quality as I'd need, and both could easily be attached to my climber to go along for the ride. I'm not real sure about the weight, but my climber is about 22-24#'s, and I'm 240, so and extra 4-5# on a pack in really ain't enough I'll ever notice, my pack usually has about 8# or so of stuff in it, plus whatever the pack weighs, so it' really not a LOT of weight.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_79192_425006010_425000000_425006000_425-6-10

Here's what I'm currently using, and for the $15 I got it for, ON SALE, I can't complain at all, it's comfortable, it's hydration bladder ready if you want to pack in some water, and has a decent size expandable main pocket with an outer pocket that is zippered, a pair of mesh pockets to either side of the enclose pocket that cinch pretty tight. Decent for the money, and if anything goes wrong with it, it carries a lifetime warranty.

Read some of the reviews, don't mind the one on the first page, that poor jackhole didn't feed the strap the right way, that's why he had all of the problems he had.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have just been floored by the actual weight of the packs themselves. Sure they're built well, but holy cow!

The pack I'm looking at now is made by Timber Hawk. Its called the RutBuster. Looks like it may be just the ticket for me.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have this pack in fall gray and I will never use anything else. Only one zippered pocket (which I rarely use on stand), all other pockets are elastic enclosed or draw-string. Extremely light and quiet on stand. Check it out. You will not be dissappointed.

http://ns1.bowsite.org/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=8&User_ID=210995&st= 9181&st2=87834254&st3=-39138522&Product_ID=85&CATID=9

LT
Old 12-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Cabela's one, Elite Scout Pack, and I like it. Plenty of room for everything. I find myself taking less and less in t o the woods though now, and it all fits in the side bags on my climber.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Banned

Muzzyman, I love to talk backpacks. I have a Badlands 2200, gr8 pack. It is a little heavy empty though, like you say. I have found that just for strictly bowhunting with my treestand and sticks,k that I am better of with my $20 fieldline pack zip stripped to the stand and I just leave it on. I still have access to the top pouch for storage and it makes it a breeze to carry, and adds basically no weight. I attach a fanny pack above(see 1st pic) and this carries my headlight, licenses, grunt tubes, etc. I attach my rattlin antlers to the top too when i am using them. Works gr8. IAlso is a pic of the badlands 2200 with the LW installed on it in it's batwing compartment. It works gr8 too, for if you want to carry a tons of stuff. I just see no need to lug a bunch while whitetail hunting. The 2200 is more for elk and wilderness hunts and the batwing feature is gr8 for carrying a stand or Double Bull ground blind in deep for an elk hunt. Pic 2 is upside down..sorry

The top 2 pics are with the cheap lightweight fieldline pack that is permanetly zip stripped to my stand. It is very comfortable and has waist and shoulder straps, not to mention chest adjustment

The bottom 2 pics here are with the stand and sticks installed on the Badlands 2200

Old 12-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Badlands Superday, great pack and lightweight - no complaints

Quick Reply: Lets talk about backpacks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.