Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Thinking about picking up the old Bear >

Thinking about picking up the old Bear

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Thinking about picking up the old Bear

Old 10-12-2006, 11:31 AM

Default Thinking about picking up the old Bear

My dad and i have been Bear recurve collectors for some time now. I have always hunted with a compound but have shot recurves and compounds since I was seven years old. I have one bow, a Bear Grizzley at 46lbs, that I would like to take a deer with. Can anyone recommend an arrow/broadhead set up. I was thinking about using carbons, but it really doesn't matter. I will be limiting my shots to 15yards.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Thinking about picking up the old Bear

I pulled out my old 1978 herters last spring and have taken two hogs and 1 doe with so far. Its nice to get back with and old friend.

As for shafts, id go with soft spin and start cutting about a half inch off at a time until you marry it to your bow. Carbons, aluminum, or wood will will work fine. As for broad heads, I like Muzzys and have recently been using sonics. Im really likeing the sonics, but the Muzzy three blades are fine as well. Another i have used with traditional gear is slick tricks. Slick tricks are hard to get sometimes and that is why I have not shot them in a while.

Good luck.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Thinking about picking up the old Bear

I have one bow, a Bear Grizzley at 46lbs, that I would like to take a deer with.
The only arrow to use to fulfill a desire like that is what they'd have most likely used back then. A cedar arrow fronted by a Zwickey Eskimo broadhead. If you could find any of the old yellowglue on Bear Razorheads that'd be even better. But Zwickey produced Razorheads for Bear before he set up to make his own. So, Zwickey is technically correct also.