Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

can I do it guys ?

Old 10-10-2006, 04:05 PM

Default can I do it guys ?

Tommorrow I go to my home turf to hunt whitetails. Some rain tonight, a front tommorrow that after it blows through drops the temps from 70's into the upper 40's, lows around 30-32 degrees. We got the deer patterned, I have 3 stands, 2 overlook pre-rut scrape lines and 1 a persimmon grove loaded with ripe fruit

now the deal is ....... can i make the shot ? I'm horrible in the last 3-4 animals I've shot at. Doe, legal buck ...... hell I'll shoot a rabbit or squirrel I just need to get back on track.

Focus huh ?
Old 10-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: can I do it guys ?

I'm sure you can do it!Just post the pic's when you do.Were you shooting too far out of your effective range at the last couple of critters you shot at?What happened?
Old 10-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't think evenabout the last 3-4 critters. They are ancient history. Over and done with. Nothing you can do about them. The only shot thatmattersis the next one.

Don't even think about it being a deer. Picture a bullseye right behind the shoulder (actually, I alwaysvisualized my boss'sface and aimed right between his eyes) and let yourself execute the shot.

You'll be okay.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:06 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Yep--those shots in the past are just that--in the past. I've bugger myself in tournaments by thinking about a shot I messed up on, which caused me to not focus on the ones coming up, resulting in several buggered shots instead of just one.

Pick a spot, burn a hole in it mentally. Aim for the spot you want the arrow to exit. Stay within your comfort zone, and even then if the shot doesn't feel right, don't take it. You can get the job done.

Chad
Old 10-14-2006, 07:44 AM

I shot too high on 2 deer, either not picking a spot like Chad said, or just didn't get it done. I shot under one nice buck - still haven't figured out that one !

I'm very picky on my shot selection. I actually do it "right" the best I can tell.

Example - I hunted the last 2 1/2 days. Each day I had deer aroound my stand. I wanted the perfect shot and actually tried to draw twice, both times something happened that didn't allow shot. All the deer were spookier than normal. I don't like shooting at jittery deer. Either the deer were off to my right, angled wrong, head up and alert, branch in the way ........ with a compound I'd have tagged out this week !

Thats why its bowhunting. I didn't take a poor shot, I waited, bid my time, and it just didn't happen. Once time an old doe and two fawns came in, and I wanted that doe. I passed every possible shot imaginable on those 75 pound fawns, waiting for that doe to give me "the" shot.

Didn't happen
Old 10-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

Just put the other shots out of your head. Concentrate on the shot at hand, and pick a spot.
You can do it!!!
Old 10-14-2006, 12:48 PM

3 truer words have never been spoken:

PICK A SPOT.........