Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

picking a bow

Old 09-29-2005, 08:48 PM

Default picking a bow

hello
I am a recently new hunter and for the time being i am hunting with an older crossbow. i would like to get a compund any suggestions
Old 09-29-2005, 09:04 PM

Default RE: picking a bow

Yeah, here's a few: Bowtech (Diamond-sister company), Hoyt,Mathews, and PSE (Archery Reseach-another sister company). Nevertheless, thenewest, fanciestbow isn't worth squat if it doesn't fit you. Get to a pro shop and have them set you up with something that fits; i.e. draw length and draw weight. Garage sales and pawn shops are NOT the place to buy a bow if you're just starting out. One other point...you tend to get what you pay for.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

What AR34 said. Go to a pro shop and get properly fitted to a bow. Then learn to shoot it properly, save yourself some grief right from the start. Most every shop will have a particular brand that they will suggest, but the thing to remember is that most all the known brands these days offer pretty good bows. My opinion, and everyone has one (especially bowhunters), is that Hoyt and Bowtech are hard to beat. For a starter bow, their offshoot brands are good value, Reflex and Diamond. Also, since you are rigging out new and will need everything, I would look at the package deals that include most of what you need right out of the box for a reasonable price.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 09-30-2005, 06:32 AM

I'd recommend ignoring any recommendations to buy a particular brand. There are dozens of very good ones. The best thing you can do it to find the bow shop in your area with the best reputation to properly set up and tune a bow. Go there and follow their recommendations. Any modern bow can be tuned to shoot an arrow exactly where it is aimed, if tuned by a knowledable person.

Buying low-end is not a bad idea on your first bow. It generally takes a few bows to figure out what you prefer. Make sure the shop is willing to take the time to get you set up properly and then purchase what seems appropriate from the stock they carry. If you must buy a bow elsewhere, be very careful to get one with the proper draw length and then take it to the good bow shop and pay them to set it up and tune it. It will be money well spent.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:01 PM
Spike

straightarrow is right. I would not spend alot on the first bow. Just get something that feels good and is an easy shooter (forgiving) then as you get better, you can pipoint what you really want out of a bow.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

All these posts so far are right on the money. Like they said ya gotta hit up the pro shop. Don't go too cheap though. It'll cost ya in the long run. Just make sure it fits you and you're comfortable.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:50 PM

Get something that YOU like and what feels good to YOU.