Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Arrows?

Old 10-11-2006, 05:04 AM
Spike

Default Arrows?

I am so new to bow hunting that I have never bow hunted in my life. I'm building a red oak board bow, 28" draw @ 45 - 50# pull.
The question here is what type and size of arrow could go well with this bow?
Could it be possible to go too long of an arrow shaft? Is there a web site that explains the definitions of the arrow and how what works with what?

Thank you

Old 10-11-2006, 05:49 AM

Default RE: Arrows?

http://www.bowmaker.net/index2.htm
Old 10-14-2006, 01:45 PM

Default RE: Arrows?

Blue,

Congratulations on building a board bow. The arrow you need will depend on the bows draw weight and how center cut the shelf is when you complete it. If you cut a narrow shelf then the arrow spine will need to be weaker than the actual draw weight. That's so the arrow can bend around the strike plate during paradox. The farther from center the shelf is cut will determinehow weak the arrow spinewill need to be. All arrows are spined at 28". Sothe longer the arrow the weaker the spine. The norm is 5# for every inch over 28. If you buy 45/50 spine cedars and cut them to 29", thenthe arrowswill be spined at 40/45#'s. Most self bows like an arrow spined 10 to 15 lbs below the draw weight. But you will have to tune your arrows when everything is complete. OL Adcock, ACS Archery, has a great web site for tuning arrows. He also makes one of the finest bows in the world.

If the bow is cut to center then you will probably need the arrow spined to the draw weight of the bow.