Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Missed the bull, but... >

Missed the bull, but...

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Missed the bull, but...

Old 09-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default Missed the bull, but...

...didn't go home empty handed.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Missed the bull, but...

Tell us the story on the bull. Congrats on the rabit!
Old 09-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

We got a group of four or five bulls talking two Saturday evenings ago. I've friend that could no doubt call an elk out of your living room. He can make them chatter. They weren't interested coming in, just talking. If we moved toward them they would move off and keep an even distance, so he stayed put and called while I worked in on the elk. Ended up at the edge of a big clearing. A nice five point about 100 yards down the hill in the open. Lots of cows and calves wandering about. The five point in the clearing was quiet. There was one bull up in trees that I couldn't see that was making most of the racket. I would mew into a grunt tube and he would scream and grunt and carry on... I noticed another five point walking across the top of the hill (I was about half way down) and I mewed and he turned down at the edge of the trees I was in. He came down crossed an opening about 20 yards in front of me and I mewed to stop him. Perfect setup: Broadside, 20 yards, front leg forward. I picked a spot and drew....and the arrow swung off the rest. Never happens! So I let down and redraw. The bull is standing there watching all of this. Focus, release...and the bull drops down almost to his belly and takes off. Runs down the hill and around some trees in the clearing and starts back. Stops about 60 yards short and turns and trots off. The arrow's flight looked good, but it was getting dark enough that I lost sight of it in flight. I also didn't hear the arrow hit. I almost always here the impact: whether in the animal or in the ground. Flight looked good, no sound of a hit. I spent about an hour in the dark with a flash light looking for both blood sign and the arrow. Finally gave up for the night. Went back up at first light Sunday morning and resumed looking. I tracked him a good 100 yards or so with no blood sign. After about 2 hours, I finally found the arrow burried unders some grass and sage brush. It was clean and clearly I over shot the animal. At that point I was just glad to know and that the bull was fine, especially after my partner came wandering along (he'd gotten distracted by a herd while we were hiking in) and informed me he'd shot a cow.

I've over shot all but one elk I've shot at since going to traditional archery. I do okay with deer, etc.... You know, can drill a grouse at 30 yards and miss an elk at 15. I'm sure its the adrenaline. Even though I am consistent with my anchor point, Iexpect that I constrict the muscles across my back with the adrenaline and that can actually increase the draw length a good inch (I've experimented with this a bit) without changing the anchor point. Suggestions would be welcome.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I picked a spot and drew....and the arrow swung off the rest. Never happens!
Yea it does right when you don't want it to! Ask Murphy bout that.

Sounds like a terrific hunt you had there non-the-less.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Put a stick through it, salt and pepper, and enjoy. Good shooten.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

The bull is standing there watching all of this.
So, you took a shot with the bull looking directly at you? That's just asking it to jump the string. Suggestion, calm down and make better shot selections.
Nice shot on the rabbit.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a good looking snowshoe you've got there. I'm assuming you were in Wyoming on the Elk hunt? I was born in worland, grew up in Gillette. Congrats on the bunny.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

"So,you took a shot with the bull looking directly at you? That's just asking it to jump the string. Suggestion, calm down and make better shot selections. "

Generally good advice Chris, though I've shot at several animals looking at me before: mulies and elk and have never hadone jump the string. I'm not sure this one did either, but what I simply overshot. I do pay attention to body language. Ears and eyes will tell you alot about nervousness, as does the tail on a deer. I do get a real rush with the elk, but felt calm on this shot. Regardless, in hindsight, I don't believe I should have taken a shot when it was getting too darkto track the arrow... This was one of the long shots for me at 20 yards.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

release...and the bull drops down almost to his belly and takes off.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

I concede Chris, you are right. Fortunately no harm done this time, but if the shot was true and he had started forward or turned, it could have been a very poor hit with a wounded or possibly a killed and lost animal. What I should have done was waited after he looked toward me when I mewed, and then when he turned his head to step forward, taken the shot....or waited for him to take one more step so his head was behind a little pine that was there. Things just seem to happen so much faster at the time than later on when thinking about them in hindsight!