Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

SNUFFER, or what?

Old 05-30-2006, 11:08 AM

Default SNUFFER, or what?

Currently i bought a Martin Hunter 62'' 50# at 28 inches. I currentlydraw about 30 inches so i figure the bow weight to be about 55# easy. I shoot Easton 2213 cut to 32 inches with the nock. It tips the scale at about 550 grains with a 125 grain point. I hunt deer in northern michigan with a long shot being 25 yards and an average of about 18-20 yards. I hunt from the ground alot, so much closer is really hard. I like the idea of the snuffer 125 screw in because it's big, and will help if i shoot a deer in the guts, or kill really quick if hit in the lungs. What's everyones experience with the Snuffer, what about shoulder, or spinehits with an arrow like that. What's my other options. I can't sharpen two blade heads worth a penny. I have a set of muzzy 125 3 blades, but I don't trust those on deer, so those are saved for turkeys. I heard arrow flight from snuffers was poor. The snuffer looks traditional also.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:24 AM

Default RE: SNUFFER, or what?

Magnus has a new Snuffer out, it is a solid steel head, no glue inadapter, looks real nice, I am thinking about going with them. I dont like the glue in adaptersall that much (look at cabelasweb page thay have the new heads)I dont knowof a broad head that will make a bad shoot a good one, so I wouldnt worry about what a head dose on a gut shoot.

Are you from Northern Lower MI, or the realNorther MI .

Old 05-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not familiar with the snuffers, but I have shot the Razorcaps which are nearly identical to the snuffers and they flew very nicely out of my recurve. With the low speeds of the recurve, I have found that most heads fly pretty true. The one thing with the Razorcaps that I noticed was a pretty good whistle when they were in flight, but most any head with the big window in the blade is going to make some noise in the air. I think I am going to go with the MAgnus Rothaar Snuffer this year because the give a little wider cutting diameter than the standard Snuffer. Check them all out though to make sure for yourself.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:33 PM

3Yoopers on one post, that has to be a record. I didnt think the phone line leaving the UP was big enuf for so much action.

Muzzy makes a good head that you dont have to sharpen. All I have ever used.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:42 PM

I'm not a Yooper. Close though. I've hunted on Drummond Island so that's as close to a yooper i get.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

What's everyones experience with the Snuffer, what about shoulder, or spinehits with an arrow like that. What's my other options. I can't sharpen two blade heads worth a penny.
I can't comment on the snuffers since I have not used them before, but I'm sure they will be fine. Also check out Wensel Woodsmen.As far as the shoulder, I'd stay away from it. But that would be for any head.

Funny, I can't get a three blade head like snuffers sharp, but I can sure get a two blade head sharp. I uses-24's.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:32 AM

I use both the 2 blade magnus and the snuffers. This is how I sharpen the broadheads.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:36 AM

The 3 blades you lay flat and pull towards you

Old 06-06-2006, 06:40 AM

2 blade with a v type sharpener. When you are finished take a sharpie and color the steel edge so it won't rust.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

been using the razor caps and really like them. I use the 100gr out of my recurve and compound and have had great luck with them. they are easy to sharpen using a bastard file and a sharpening steel rod. I don't notice any noise from mine in flight. shot several hogs with em and they are still going.