Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Buying a new bow

Old 05-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Buying a new bow

I've been practising with my Pearson Varsity for a couple years now. It's 60" and 45#@28". I'd like to buy a better bow and move up in draw weight. Ideally, I'd like to move up to 65lbs but thought that it might be too big of a jump so I wanted to ask here for suggestions.

I'm mainly looking at Martin bows at the moment (Mamba, Hunter, Super Diablo). I just wish I could try them out first. Are any of them more forgiving for a novice?

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2006, 05:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Buying a new bow

Between those three, the Hunter might be a tad more forgiving than the Diablo or Mamba, just because of the extra length. Not much though. The grips are all pretty similar, so there won't be any great difference in feel. If your draw length is under 30", just pick the one that looks best to you. If it's 30 or over, I'd definitely suggest the Hunter.

I would recommend staying more in the 55 pound range for now. Maybe 60, if you're feeling froggy enough to jump that far. A full 20 pounds really is a seriously stout move from what you're used to.

Also, wherever you order it from, be sure to demand that the draw weight on the bow is double checked before they ship it. Martin has had the reputation in the pastof not marking their draw weights correctly.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:03 AM

I agree with arthur #55 is all you need
Old 05-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. My draw is 29" so I'd be pulling just over 55#. Minimum for hunting here is 45# but I just wouldn't feel comfortable at that weight (I've never hunted with a recurve).

Arthur, until you said to "pick the one that looks best" I didn't realize just how different the risers are designed (ie, the Hunter and the Mambo). They both look awesome to me but like you said, they should feel similar.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd also say to stay in the 55 pound range. With a heavy arrow and a Cut on Contact Broadhead, it will be just fine. After you get good with that weight, maybe move up. But I don't think you will need it unless you are going after moose, even then 60#'s would be enough.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I'd also say to stay in the 55 pound range. With a heavy arrow and a Cut on Contact Broadhead, it will be just fine. After you get good with that weight, maybe move up. But I don't think you will need it unless you are going after moose, even then 60#'s would be enough.
Ok then...I didn't realize that 60#'s and over would be putting me into moose territory; I'm just interested in whitetails for now so 55 should be plenty.

I'm on my own when it comes to recurves/traditional hunting so my knowledge is sorely lacking. I've never even gone bowhunting before so this year I'm working hard towards making it happen. (I would also like to pick up a T/C Hawken and go out for the muzzleloading season but that's for another forum .) I appreciate the help.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think you would find many (if any) trad shooters who would argue that 55 pounds isn't big enough for whitetails.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:30 AM

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I don't think you would find many (if any) trad shooters who would argue that 55 pounds isn't big enough for whitetails.

55 is PLENTY....... I dusted 2 hogs off with a 48lb bow last week..... No problem with penetration..... And the skin on a hog is unbelievably thick! up to 1 inch in places, before you even get to the fat and muscle.......