Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Hitting left.........

Old 04-25-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Hitting left.........

Guys,

I shot this afternoon and everything is still feeling great and I'm getting the hang of MAINTAINING back tension...... At 0-20yds, I am very satisfied.... However, when I step back to 30yds my groups move the left about 6-8 inches... I tried moving my stance and moving my grip and I still shot left....... The only thing that helped was more cant..... However, I don't get as good of back tension release with my bow canted at say 2 o'clock as opposed to my normal 1 o'clock....... My spine is ok and if anything is a tad weak, so I don't believe it would be spine.... Any thoughts here? Do some bows just require a certain amount of cant, or are there others factors at play.... I can't imagine it being the cant, heck the olympic guys shoot at 100yds without cant.... What's going on here? I don't believe it is collapse.... I was very conscience of that and just don't believe that is it.....

Old 04-26-2006, 12:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hitting left.........

You could possibly be moving your bow arm out the way so you can watch the arrow.Try keeping your bow on target til the arrow hits.Tough to tell without watching your form.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm left handed.Every timeI start hitting to the right of where I aimed, it's because I moved my bow arm. Make sure you are maintaining your form till the arrow hits the target.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:23 AM

If we joined forces we could shoot great, I hit about 6in to the right at that range.

I think my problem is my release, but I have been working on it and it is getting better.

What I have been told is check your brace height. I dont know why but on my bow my brace height moves alot, I check it once a week. Must be the caseI use??????
Old 04-26-2006, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

At 30 yards I have arrows that consistently go left, right, up and down so I'll just be quiet and listen.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Could your arrow be a little stiff? Maybe try a heavier point. Besides the above mentioned. I usually shoot left when I pluck the string. Maybe try a different glove/tab. Also check your arrow/draw arm alignment. If all else fails, change the cant. It may take some getting used to, but maybe how your particular bow and anchor style needs to be.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:07 AM

I'm going to add 25 grains up front tonight and see if that helps....... I believe it's an alignment problem, but I've tried moving around and it doesn't seem to help...... Could be plucking..... Also, my glove is just about wore out with a few pretty bad holes, etc.... Could be just enough to throw me off I suppose..... I probably shot 20 arrows at 30yds and they were all about 6-8 inchs to the left without fail.....

If all else fails, I will just cant the bow more until I get his ironed out......

Old 04-26-2006, 09:26 AM

As for chaning the brace, which way would I need to move it to move my arrows back to the right?I'm guessing that that changes the effective spine by changing the load on the limbs.....
Old 04-26-2006, 10:46 AM

When I was having truble my aroows were tailing left and this was causing them to hit right. I was told to add some to my brace height, this puts less energy into the arrow because it has less distance to travel with the string befor it is shoot. If you are right handed I would say just do the oposite, or put a heavier point on????????

My biggest problem was that I let it get me all worked up and made the proplem bigger then it was. One day I must have changed points, anchor point, and brace height 100 times, I was nutz by the end of it and nothing worked. The next day I went out and just shoot some cans, it relaxed me and my shooting got better and better and with that I could tone my bow properly.

Good luck.

What the heck do ya need to shoot out that far for anyways .