Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Hitting to left? >

Hitting to left?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hitting to left?

Old 05-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hitting to left?

I had not shot my Mathews Switchback XT for awhile because of surgery and when I started shooting it again a couple months ago it was shooting about 4" to the left. My stance hasn't changed, nor has any of the equipment changed and I KNOW FOR A FACT it was sighted in perfectly. Nor does it have cam lean and nothing I can see is out of kilter. Nobody has messed with it either. It wasn't a problem to gang adjust the sight pins but it has me wondering. The arrows are also exactly the same as they was as well. By the way, My QAD rest is still exactly the same as when I tuned my bow perfectly. Any ideas?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hitting to left?

That is usually a form issue,draw length too short or too long and not getting proper alingnment along with good bone to bone contact.

The worse the form,the more important constant practice becomes.

Tune can add to the equation as well.Centershot is very important to eliviate left and right issues.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

See-the thing is I have checked and analyzed my form & stance about a jillion times. Also the centershot is still true. I'm not torquing the bow and my group is still about 2" at 30 yards,was just to the left all of a sudden. All I had to do was adjust the sight to make it hit dead on. I even paper tested it to make SURE it was still in tune, (by the way-it is). it just drove me nuts trying to figure why it was shooting left out of the blue.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm inclined to agree with TFOX. Having not shot for a while I'd bet it's a form issue, although you might not think so. You might find as you get more in-tune with the bow you have to move your sight back nearer it's original position. Heck, I see changes of a couple inches from day to day just from using cold muscles.

Years ago, when I shot a lot of field and target archery I would start out with the sight in one position and as I got farther through the course I'd have to change the windage a bit just because my muscles were working different. Guess that's why warming up and having an adjustable sight are all about.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Paper may or MAY NOT tell you if centershot is correct.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd go with form too if nothing has moved on the bow. Probably just putting more palm in the shot or something. Was the surgery on and arm or shoulder? It might be your form was off before if that's the case. Our body tends to compensate for aches and pains and we unknowingly find a comfortable alternative to what we should be doing.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you shooting TIGHT groupings???? If not, I'm inclined to agree with the rest of the group as the problem is likely FORM. If you are, don't mess with paper, screw on some BH's, make sure they spin TRUE, and BH tune the bow, a BH tune will tell you a lot about what's going on......"strings stretched causing nocking point to have changed,".........."rest maybe ain't as 'centered' as you thought,"........."If they are all over the place, your form is a bit inconsistant."

Also, did you by any chance crank the poundage up on the bow?????? If so, you're arrows' spine may not be accurate. If you are using and open hand grip, gently lock out your bow arm at the elbw, so that you have a more consistent anchor, and see what that does.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm getting TIGHT groupings on the targets. I think I figured out what it was. When starting back after my shoulder surgery, I'd cranked the poundage down slightly to 50# to start. When I cranked the poundage back up, I'd already adjusted the sights, thus I was getting groups exactly 4" to the right. Now I'm back at full poundage and enjoying my usual Xs. That makes me inclinded to think spine was it when I turned poundage down. I had forgot about the changed poundage. "Thumps head"!
Old 05-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Poundage will definately cause the dynamic spine of the arrow to change and consequently,the arrow will impact different left and right.