Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Shooting off the shelf? >

Shooting off the shelf?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Shooting off the shelf?

Old 02-14-2008, 01:58 PM

Default Shooting off the shelf?

I shoot my Blackhawk short hornet off the shelf and I know its better to lean it so how far do I lean it for max accuacy?
Old 02-14-2008, 02:25 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Shooting off the shelf?

Do you mean cant? I adjust my cant to adjust for windage, or left to right point of impact. If I am constantly hitting to the left, I cant more. You just want to cant enough to have a clear sight picture and make sure your arrow is inline with your eye.

There is no lean/cant for accuracy.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry
Iadjust my cant to adjust for windage, or left to right point of impact. If I am constantly hitting to the left, I cant more. You just want to cant enough to have a clear sight picture and make sure your arrow is inline with your eye.
I've got to remember that.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cant mine...1-2 0-clock.....
Old 02-14-2008, 02:58 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

I cant mine...1-2 0-clock.....
For some odd reason, when I started trad shooting, my cant was like 2:30. I think it was my left eye dominance. But this year, its constantly 1:30 cant.

When I first stated trad, I tried shootign right handed with my left eye. It caused me all kinds of issues.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think after a while a person just finds the right cant and its just a natural thing,I mean once you find the sweet spot its just there without a thought,the arrows just start grouping...I do know that I cant my Hunter a little more the the Kudu(shoot carbon with Kudu) and POC with the Hunter and I beleave that has something to do with it.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:16 AM

ok so its called cant i just got into traditonal bows
Old 02-15-2008, 08:38 AM

musclecarman92,

Make a loose fist with the hand that you use to hold your bow, and then extend that arm, but don't lock your elbow. Your hand, arm, and shoulder should be fairly relaxed.

Now look and see where your top knuckle is pointing. Rotate you extended hand slightly both to the left and to the right, and you'll feel slight amounts of tension build in either your arm or shoulder whenever you rotate your hand out of its "nature pointing" position. That natural hand position should be the same when you're holding your bow, and that's what dictates the amount of cant.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Dominant Buck

I couldnt tell you how much I cant. Ive been shooting the same way for 20+ years. I think it all comes second nature after a while.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Normally, I cant depending on the closeness of the target. I cant more if the target is close, very little to none is the target is out a ways (maybe 40 yards).

Quick Reply: Shooting off the shelf?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.