Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 HOW TOO GLUE ON NOCKS??? >

HOW TOO GLUE ON NOCKS???

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

HOW TOO GLUE ON NOCKS???

Old 02-11-2006, 08:46 AM

Default HOW TOO GLUE ON NOCKS???

I am now building my own wood arrows, and i am completely confused on where the nock needs to be glued on the arrow? I have been told 3 different ways on how it should be glued on in accordance with the grain of the arrow? I already did a batch of arrows, and i am afraid i probably put the nocks on in the wrong place. This might be a dumb question, but it is a very important one to me if anyone of of you stick shooters could put it in SIMPLE TERMS and help out a fellow stick shooter, Thank you, Thank you, in advance...RobinHood36>>>==========<&gt ;
Old 02-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: HOW TOO GLUE ON NOCKS???

I always orient my nocks and fletching in one particular way. I want the points where the grain feathers out of the shaft to be pointing forward on the top side of the arrow when it's made up. The edge grain of the shaft will be against the bow when it's nocked.

Reasoning behind that is, if the arrow breaks on release,it will likely breakalong the grain. With the forward-facing points of the grain on the TOP side, the tail end of the arrow will likely be forced UP, and away from my forearm. If they were on the bottom, then it could be forced down and into my arm. And I don't even like the thought of that![:-]
Old 02-11-2006, 09:57 AM

I never could figure it out either...... I just slap mine on there and they shoot better than I can anyway........ My Ramin shafts have no grain detail......
Old 02-11-2006, 10:13 AM

Here is a link that will show you.

http://www.stickbow.com/FEATURES/ARROWMAKING/alignment.cfm
Old 02-12-2006, 03:01 PM

Arthur P i have heard of a couple nightmare stories about arrows breaking and slivering into the shootersarm or there hand. I have not had the luxury of that happening yet (tap on wood). So that is a good point you have there and i will take your input into consideration. Longbow that is what i was looking for an example of an arrow which shows how the grain should be when nocking an arrow. And of course, i nocked my first batch of arrows the opposite way they should of been... Thanks again for the Help!!!
RobinHood36>>>==========<>
Old 02-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had it happen a couple of times. Fortunately my arm guards kept me from getting impaled badly, but I have shed some blood. An old timer showed me that little trick about how to orient the nocks on my wood arrows and that was a l-o-n-g time ago. I guess I'm the old timer now, passing his wisdom along. [&:]

Always a good idea to wear agood armguard when shooting wood arrows, too. I'm also very careful about checking my arrows for cracks before I shoot them. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, ya know.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:07 AM

I have not shed any blood yet, but i have had some nice blisters--tend too show up when i slack off on my shooting--must be a sign that i should'nt do that!
Now Arthur, remember you are only as old as you feel, and when you get too bad off, i would be willing to give up my right hand shooting fingers for you since i am a southpaw!
We need you around as long as possible, to give us a helping hand at times...
RobinHood36}>>>==========<>