Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Dieing Feathers

Old 01-25-2006, 10:58 PM

Default Dieing Feathers

I just recieved my feathers for gateway and i was wondering if there was any way to die them a different colour. I got them in white so that i could see them better but then i started using a white spray on cresting and i was wanting to die them so that i could a little colour and contrast to the white crest, any know of any good ways to do this??
Old 01-26-2006, 12:32 AM

Default RE: Dieing Feathers

Veniards fly tying dyes have good fluorescent colours- try your local flyshop.

Rit/ Dylon et al do a good job too- use the cold water dye, and just follow the instructions on the packet.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:22 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Dieing Feathers

Do a Google search on "dying fibers with kool-aid" and you'll get several sites. 3 Rivers Archery has a new feather dye they are selling now also. I've never tried either one, so I'm not sure how good the results will be, but I do have some of the 3 Rivers dye on order.

I've started using marribou feathers or rabbit fur glued around the nock end--called "tracers"--to help me see the arrow. It works great--better than any bright colored feather, nock, or cap dip I've tried. I used to think white was the color I saw best, but I've learned that chartruese, yellow, and pink show up much better, for me at least.

Chad