Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

A Dieing Breed?

Old 05-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default A Dieing Breed?

I know I'm gonna catch some flak over this post but here goes. I read nearly every post every day on here and I've noticed not only here but with my close circle of turkey hunting friends just how much that blind hunting (no not as in "can't see" as in a camo tent to hide inside of) has taken over our sport. I'm not bashing blinds and happen to own a DB myself. I just think a lot of folks that never venture away from their blinds are missing a huge part of what makes this sport so great. There's nothing like sitting "out in the open"against a huge oak in a southern swamp in the pre-dawn hrs. waiting for the world to come alive.Maybe that first gobbleis not exactly where you thought it would come from. No problem- you jump up and make your move. I also think that blind hunting willlengthen the learning curve to becoming a good turkey hunter.I guess what I'm saying isdon't grow roots in your blind.Once in a while step outside and see and feel the world around you.An even more novel idea would be to leave your blind at home once in a while. Just go for it.

Dan
Old 05-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: A Dieing Breed?

I think they're a useful tool, especially for those who like to hunt with a bow and a camera, or with kids in less than admirable weather, but you're right there's something to be said for hunting out in the open. I've only ever hunted (2 years) out in the open, but can see the advantages of a blind. That being said, my first turkey hunt ever I had a hen walk past me at about 5 yards and from then I've been hooked! This past weekend I was out and needed to make a move on a bird that was holding tight on the other side of a ridge and I believe hunting out of a blind from the spot we set up initially we would not have gotten that bird. There's nothing like sittin against a pine tree with half a branch poking you in the back while you stare down a line of tall pines waiting for a boss tom to poke his head over a hill.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never used a blind turkey hunting, butnext year whenI'm filming hunts, or hunting with my bow.. my blind will definitely be used.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't own one, my buddy owns 2...I've tried his and just seem out of touch with what's going on around me...

One thing I do like about them, some guy ramble and call too dang much...At least it keeps them in one place so I can ramble...

I just finished watching a turkey hunt on TV...The hunter belly crawled across a field to ambush a turkey...To me, the excitement is about calling them inside of 30 yards without them knowing you are there, not just killing them...This is also why I don't get hungup on 50 yard groups...It's not about how far away you killed him, but how close...
Old 05-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Iwouldn't use a blind unless I was taking a kid out or bow hunting. I like to be able to "run and gun" the birds when ever I can. One thing NCHAWKEYE said he wont do but I will do is sneak turkeys. If I see a big tom henned up and wont come any closer, I think its just as fun to sneak up on them, and most of the time a lot harder to pull off than if you called them in. Their eyes and ears are so good that it takes practice to sneak up on them without getting busted.

Oh, and its "Dying", not "Dieing..". Sorry, had to point that out
Old 05-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like 'em close and I use a bow and I don't see that I'm missing anything by using the blind to hunt them. I can still hear nature wakin' up, I can still see nature wakin' up, and I killed both turkeys this year at 5 yards. It was a rush. What am I missing again? Sitting against a tree so I can shoot a turkey at 50 yards with boom stick is more fun?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:42 AM

i hear ya! i own a blind and cant stand carryin it in.! most of those that use blinds drive in on there 4-wheeler or better yet there super quiet golf cart or electric somethin of! i prefer to walk now! i have ridden my wheeler when i was younger and dumber. now i can see way more wildlife by walkin in. i even kill most of my deer by walkin. it is a DYING BREED. i agree with you 100% turkey hunting is way better when you cant move an inch or they see you . then its a split second reaction to fire or let em go. If your not disabled sit next to a tree. it a little more of a fair chase. i can blinds only for those who are disabled, or maybe if you want to try a bow for the first time. other than that! try your luck! find out how good you really are!
Old 05-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Howler

I like 'em close and I use a bow and I don't see that I'm missing anything by using the blind to hunt them. I can still hear nature wakin' up, I can still see nature wakin' up, and I killed both turkeys this year at 5 yards. It was a rush. What am I missing again? Sitting against a tree so I can shoot a turkey at 50 yards with boom stick is more fun?
Im with you on this one.. Not sure why he thinks its a problem. I dont hunt with them when I am using a gun because I dont really need to and I dont like toting them around. When bow hunting, heck ya, althoughI have tried with a bow without a blind with moderate success. I have not hunted out of a blind this year when I was by myself, and only once and thats because I took a 13 year old kid who couldn't sit still.

Benjaminearl: Why do you automatically assume that mostpeople who use blinds drive them in with a 4 wheeler? I walk mine in and I dont know many people who have trouble carring a 10 pound blind into the woods with them. Even if I am going out the night before to set it up I walk it in.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

you sound like you are from a place with a lot of thick forest. where we are at, most places are bare and open, that is why the turkeys like it. if you place a blind out in the open, the turkeys won't mind it. if you sit next to the only couple of trees exposed on the hillside you will be busted. we are forced to use blinds all the time here.

we will break out of a blind in a hearbeat if the strategy changes. a blind is more of a strategy that sometimes fits a purpose better than other strategiesat each different situation.

also, hunting out of a blind in the rain makes the hunting so much better than being soaked.

a blind is just another tool that got upgraded, it is always up to everyone to choose what strategy they want to use.

bowhunters of course like blinds because they can help to mask movement. in a place with lots of turkeys and a lot of open ground like where we are at, a person would do everything right to call in a tom and still never have the chance to settle the pin on the tom.

who can forget kids, anyone who has taken a kid on his first hunt will learn to hide and muffle the sound of that kid a little better the second time around. it doesn't matter if the turrain is open or dense, kids always need a larger margin of error.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

I use a blind more often now while turkey hunting b/c I bowhunt. Its pretty hard to sit next to a tree and pull off a turkey kill with a bow.

Quick Reply: A Dieing Breed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.