Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 My oldest friend is Dieing! >

My oldest friend is Dieing!

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

My oldest friend is Dieing!

Old 06-17-2005, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default My oldest friend is Dieing!

My Oldest buddy and companion for 15 years is dieing and I can't do a thing to stop it.

Toot (a beagle), has had heart problems for the last two years and on heart medicine. She's dieing now and the vet says she's not in pain, her heart is failing and we can't stop it. The only time she'll eat now is a little out of my hand. I have to pick her up and take her outside to use the bathroom.

She has always been special, she was another dog (puppy) thrown away. She was brought to me by a friend that found her. When I got her, she was so small I could put her in a basket on the front of my old 3 wheeler atv and ride her all over these Georgia swamps. She turned out to be a natural tracker, never failed to find a deer or hog someone shot and couldn't find.

She was cut by a wild hog one time, and stuck her nose under my bush hog (mower) and that like to have killed her, vet., vet., vet., bills and I would pay them again. If it could happen, she would do it.

Call me a silly old fool, but my heart is breaking and there's nothing I can do for her or me. I've got other dogs, but this one is so "Special".

dog1
Old 06-17-2005, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My oldest friend is Dieing!

Sorry to hear that, I know how you feel. They are never around long enough.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Inactive

Dog 1 : I can empathize with you. I really feal for your loss (or impending loss) - but you will always have memories!! I lost my hunting partner 2 years ago and have never found another dog that could come close to him !! He was a gift(?) from my sister inlaw. When her husband died - they couldn't handle him - he turned out to be one of the best lab retrievers in our area - and my best buddy.
Some day you will be surprised - another one will come along with basically the same traits - you will recognize them - and a new partnership will begin.

In the meantime - my sympathies!!

Gar

Old 06-17-2005, 08:19 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-18-2005, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours.......i had a black lab mix that died a few years , same thing, it was hard, then i lost Branddee, she was hit by a car which bout destroyed me, my point is i got to say goodbye as you will be able to as well, it's so much harder not being able to say goodbye...
Old 06-20-2005, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Best wishes go to you and your family....This is a tough pill to swallow...
Year ago our family dog...Ronnie, aka Veronica by her AKC papers...was starting to get old. She was almost 13 years old when my son and I had to have her Vet look at her. Unfortunately we received devastating nrews...She had very little time left (a week or so) and she was in discomfort but not actual pain. We had to make that dreadful decision and we decided to have her put down. I was with her to the end and held her in my arms when they gave her that shot....It was such a sad day for myself and of course for my wife and 4 kids.....I understand completely what you are going through......Thoughts of her always bring a smile to my face.....she was such a wonderful dog and I miss her at this very moment, evenwhile I'm typing this....
Old 06-20-2005, 12:33 PM

I feel your pain, I have been there with My BoBo when he died at 11 and I was 20.I said at the time I would never have another puppy and 3 years ago I went and did it again at 40with Rebel.Theybring just to much to enjoyment not to have them in our lives and the time that comes when we have to say it's time will pass quickly and the sadness turns to memories. It will be OK god bless you and your family
Old 06-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Dominant Buck

My sympathy for you and your family. I too am going through the same thing. My old Labradors retriever got a bad case of Lymes disease last year. Even though he had the shots and bug juice on him, he still caught it. Because of his age (12 years old)the vet said he can not shake it. So after medicating the devil out of him, he still has it. They have him on a pill (twice a day) for the arthritis and his hips are going out on him also. So his days are also numbered, but he is haniging in there.

I am not looking forward to the day when I no longer have him around but with all dogs, it is something we have to face. Best of everything for the little fellow.....
Old 06-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. So sorry to hear about the losses y'all have had.

dog1
Old 06-21-2005, 03:34 PM

dog1 : I know how you feel. I lost my best friend,had him 13 years,he was killed just over a year ago. I got another one right away,he filled the hole in my heart , although he will never replace Trucker.
my new friend is Booger he is 1/2 JackRussel and 1/2 Snozer.just gave him a haircut last week.he has moer love than any dog I have ever owned.all you have to do is ask and they will love you to death.Hope when the time comes you can find one to help you heal.I know they are truly a part of the family. this is befro the haircut.

this is after the cut.

Quick Reply: My oldest friend is Dieing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.