Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
I dunno ..............  how do you guys do it ?? >

I dunno .............. how do you guys do it ??

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

I dunno .............. how do you guys do it ??

Old 10-15-2002, 10:04 AM

Default RE: I dunno .............. how do you guys do it ??

In most cases if you want to kill the animal, you'll get the arrow in the right spot. If you want to second guess yourself, consider all the options or possible outcomes, etc., you'll probably miss. This is not a thinking man's sport really. It's a doing man's sport, so just do it. I think you'll have better luck that way.

Whatever's wrong ain't the bow and whatever's right is the archer.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I AM going to stick with it. My favorite stand is at a funnel coming off a cedar glade and it gets used quite a bit. I have it setup so that the sun rises at my back - the deer will be looking into the sun as they come towards my stand, or walking away from me. Also, the tree has lots of limbs, lots of leaves (black jack tree). The majority of the deer will come by about 10-15 steps if not closer and I'm about 15 feet up, but on the sloping hill the shots can be level or below me a bit too. I got confidence there, my practice shots from that tree for the most part have been good.

I'm going to hunt it this weekend and will see deer, will hopefully get a shot. I have my digital camera with me and will take pics and post if I kill anything. Thanks for the reassuring words - dadgummit this is hard hunting with a longbow ! Kudos to all you who kill deer with recurves and longbows !!
Stealthycat's Photo's
Old 10-15-2002, 10:23 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

It's very simple, and the same principles apply...

1) Get within shooting distance of the animal, or position yourself so that the animal comes close enough to you.

2) Put the arrow where it belongs.

That's it.

JRW
Old 10-15-2002, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Stealthy, I know for a lot of people they put the compound hunting and the traditional equipment hunting in different categories. I guess I could never figure this out since we all shoot at the same real deer. I believe it gives false impressions and feelings to many newcomers in the traditional field when 3-D tournaments put the traditional stakes in the Pee-Wee ranges and the compound stakes further away. I guess what I'm getting at is that you need to know you are going to make the shot you take with the same amount of confidence as you would using a compound or you should use something else to hunt with. My 24 yr. old son hunted hard with me for 10 straight years befire he got to the point that he was mentally able to know he could kill a deer within his shooting range and since then he's done great. Last night he tagged his biggest buck yet (a 110"+ 8 pt.) using his Howard Hill 75# longbow. That makes 5 deer with his last 5 arrows over the past 3 seasons. Are we ever going to miss?? Sure, but I will be the most surprised guy in the woods when it happens and that's the kind of confidence you need to have before going afield with your traditional equipment.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:47 PM

Stealthy,
If you have access to a doe tag, take the FIRST doe within range. PERIOD Even if it is a 75 pound yearling. The first one is the toughest regardless of the number of deer you have killed with a compound.

Keep at it and you WILL be sucessful.

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!