Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

String stretch

Old 10-24-2005, 06:27 PM

Default String stretch

Hello guys I have shot my new falcon alot since I got it a week ago and I noticed that the string has stretched quite a bit which I imagined it would. How do I get it back into specs. I know that when I had a compound my local pro shop guy twisted the string but he doesn't do traditional. So I was wondering what does twisting the string involve and how do I do it properly so it stays there or will I have to twist it every time I sting it? One more thing how often do you guys unstringthe bow,every time you finish shooting or what? Thanks for helping a newbie.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:41 PM

Default RE: String stretch

Twisting the string is no big deal, you just take it off on end and twist it. Just look at the string and determin what direction you need to twist it, one way will shoten it and the other will make it longer.

what type of string do you have? If it is fast flight it should not need to be twisted all that much. You should get a book (Becoming the Arrow is a good one) with some tuning info in it.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

Just add some twists to get you brace height back where you want it.

Do you unstring your bow completely?? If you just unstring 1 end and let the loop just slide a little way down the limb you won't have to worry about the string untwisting. The other option is to pick up a string keeper to hold your string in place.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:11 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

A new flemish string can stretch quite a bit, depending on how it was made and whether or not it was pre-stretched. The material will also play a part. If it's Fast Flight, Dynaflight, 8125, 450+, etc. it shouldn't stretch much if any when it gets shot in. To shorten it, just twist in the direction that tightens the twist--you should have a good bit to play with, but you don't want so much that it coils up when you unstring the bow--even a good bit less than that.

You can unstring the bow when you are finished shooting, but you don't have to. Proper storage is a must--don't stand it on end in a corner. Either lay it flat, or store it on two straight pegs with the weight resting at the ends of the riser.

Chad
Old 10-26-2005, 12:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chad,

Do you remember the dynaflight string I made two weeks ago now. Well that sucker didnt stretch more then 1/8th of an inch even after shooting a handfull of times. Well I tried rebuilding the string once earlier tonight so I could take the bow out and shoot it again, low and behold the stinker is STILL short. ugg WHens that dang video coming out man I am getting another ulcer here .
Old 10-26-2005, 10:13 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Well, if it's any consolation, that probably means you make a good, tight string--I've heard of some that, even though they were made from materials that have practically no stretch, kept settling in for weeks, even months. Heard about one that had the loop pull out completely, but it was on a super heavy-weight bow.

DVD should be ready in a week or two--if nothing goes wrong. Going to pick up the 4th "final copy" today or tomorrow--the last one had a tiny blurb in the music at the intro, and the guy producing it wouldn't have it--it has to be just right for him to release it.

I'll holler when it's ready.

Chad