Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 How to make a lam bow. >

How to make a lam bow.

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

How to make a lam bow.

Old 10-24-2005, 09:04 PM

Default How to make a lam bow.

Did anyone read the artical on lam. bow making in the Traditional Bowhunter. Man did he make it look easy, I am definitly trying that this winter.

Ok I may get kicked off here for this but dose anyone else think that glass backed bows are better looking then self bows. I just like the lines of the glass bows and the color contrasts. There is one exception, the bow that is on the cover of the Bowyers Bible. I dont know if they all have the same cover but the one I have has what I think is a Yew bow, that bow is beautiful.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How to make a lam bow.

Yes , they are pretty. I don't care much for self bow, not saying anythings wrong with them I just don't like them.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd definitely recommend ordering a couple of bowmaking videos from Bingham Projects and watching them several times. Making a lam bow isn't rocket science and you don't have to be a brain surgeon either, but it is a mechanical process and the steps must be followed in precise order. I really enjoyed the process, and doubly enjoy shooting a bow that I made for myself.

It's kinda pricey to get all the tooling together for that first bow, but every bow you make after that first one is a lot cheaper.

Ain't no doubt that a bow put together with a selection of exotic hardwoods from around the world is a lot prettier than a selfbow. It usually shoots the same arrow a good deal faster and with less handshock, too.

The beauty of a selfbow though... Even though there are some very handy tools that most guys consider basic selfbow tools, anybody that owns a hatchet and knifehas all the tools that are really needed to make one. So, except for time and labor,selfbows areFREE! [8D]
Old 10-26-2005, 06:39 PM

Dont get me wrong self bows are amazing, I just like the looks of the lam bow.

Ap I may pic up some of those vids. I am real excited to see what I can do. What I realy want to do is make 2 bows for 2 of my young relatives. They are the only hope in site for future archers in the family, all else is lost.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P
The beauty of a selfbow though... Even though there are some very handy tools that most guys consider basic selfbow tools, anybody that owns a hatchet and knifehas all the tools that are really needed to make one. So, except for time and labor,selfbows areFREE! [8D]
Yup, that is true. In fact, this past weekend when I was at my lake cabin with my younger cousins we made a bow in like a day. First I went on the edge of the woods behind us to look for wood and found this nice curved(not evenly curved throughout it) stick that was about 1" in diameter. I cut it 70" long and cut out a shelf and cut out notches for the string and tied some nylon string to it. My first shot I nailed the bull's eye from about 10 yards away with it. After that though, it started to lose its "spring" and would barely shoot 10 yards before hitting the ground. Then, finally, my 9 year old cousin broke it while shooting. It broke right above the shelf. Not a hunting bow....but still fun to make.