Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Tutorial on using fletch tape? >

Tutorial on using fletch tape?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Tutorial on using fletch tape?

Old 10-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tutorial on using fletch tape?

In the next few days I'll be using my buddy's bitz to re-fletch some shafts. They are carbon if that makes a difference.

I purchased a roll of fletch tape based on all the glowing reports, and this will be my first time using it.

I assume it's a two sided tape. If you've used this before, I'd be most grateful if you could walk me through your process from start to end, step by step, so I can have a pre-conceived notion going in
Old 10-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tutorial on using fletch tape?

Okay, Here's my 9-step process. Naturally, you're going to make sure the shafts are clean first and put theshaft in the jig.

1) Put the feather in the clamp to make it easier to handle. I run my thumbnail along between the base of the feather and the clamp to pull the feather down just a bit.

2) Starting at the leading end of the fletch, I start applying the tape. Lay it all the way down the base, then cut it off, leaving about 1/32" - 1/16" extra length past the feather.

3) I run my thumbnail down the tape, making sure it's got good contact all the way down the feather.

4) Strip off the backing. I fold that little tag end at the end of the feather and try to make that little tag of tape stickto the end of the feather's base. Makes it a lot easier to get the backing to pop loose so I can get hold of it.

5) Stick the clamp in the jig and seat the feather. Run thumbnail along the base (that's why you pulled it down slightly when you loaded the fletch in the clamp) to make sure the tape has good contact along that side.

6) Remove clamp and, pressing firmly, run your finger all the way down the feather to make sure the entire tape surface has good contact.

7) Repeat steps 1-6 on the rest of the feathers.

8) When I get all my arrows fletched, I get out the Duco and put a drop of glue on each end of each feather.

9) Miller time!

Once you get thetechnique down, it takes less time to do it than explain it.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Art, that's helps a bunch.

Is it ok if I substitute an Anheiser Busch product for the South African owned (and inferior tasting) Miller?

Old 10-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Certainly, though I prefer a nice bottle of Guinness, myself. I like thatbeer you have to chew before you swallow.[8D]
Old 10-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me too

I was gonna go with a nice microbrew most anything (preferably dark), but there were too many to choose from
Old 10-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur, should I still use the duco on the ends of the feathers since I'm using carbon shafts?
Old 10-13-2005, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Use Fletchtite or Bohning Platinum if you want. I've even used superglue gel to do it, but that's an expensive glue for that kind of thing. The type or brand of glue isn't as important as just getting something to tack down those ends.

Also, I make that front dob of glue pretty big - well, bigger than the one on the back end anyway - and thentake my finger and gentlymash it down into a little ramp when it starts setting up. I shoot off my knuckle with my selfbows and that little ramp saves me from a lot of feather cuts. I figure it's gotta help the arrow slide across the shelf with less resistance too.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. I have some duco that I was hoping to use, but I also have some superglue that is brush on that I've used on vanes in the past. It works fine, just a female dog to get off when it comes re-fletch'em up time...
Old 10-22-2005, 06:14 AM
Spike

I use a Jo-Jan, and put the jig base on a 2X6 on the far right. In the middle, I put a homemade clamp holder that holds the clamp with the feather base up (the tapered end to the left, because that's how the jig itself is set on the board). To the left of that, I made a tension adjustable spool holder for the fletching tape roll. With a fletch clamped in the middle holder, both hands are free. I pull the tape off the roll and set it on the fletching base, with maybe 3/8 " of extra off the right end. I run my finger down the tape to press it onto the fletch base. Next to the left end of the clamp (sort of between the clamp and the tape spool) I have a little hardwood block attached. Using a pointed-end and very sharp x-acto knife, I press the tape against the hardwood and cut through just the red backing at about a 45 degree angle, and grab the backing end with my left hand. Using the knife tip, I pull up on the backing and separate it from the tape. I then cut the tape completely through where it was first cut to remove the backing. The new tape end is temporarily stuck to the hardwood block and the fletch and clamp are moved to the jig.
There is maybe 3/8 " of extra tape off each end of the fletch. I set the clamp into the jig and sort of wiggle and push it a couple times, then release the clamp and run my finger right down the fletch folding the barbels down and just sort of making sure the thing is stuck good. If the fletching is really old and curled up it needs extra attention on the curly end.
I take the knife and cut the tag ends at about a 45 degree angle, instead of straight down, for the same reason we use glue - just to make it a smoother transition from shaft to fletch base. Then a drop of duco or fletchtite.
If there's enough interest I'll experiment with picture embedding.

YBIC >>> Wallypedal