Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

A tutorial on Aiming

Old 10-19-2005, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default A tutorial on Aiming

Art, you mentioned in another thread that you liked Byron's book "become the arrow" and his thoughts on aiming. You and others that have been shooting sticks for some time also commented in the Asbell thread.

Any chance you guys could summarize the good you've taken from both these guys (and others) and how you applied it to you develop your aiming process?
I know I'd find it very helpful to read all your tips and tricks of the trade...
Old 10-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A tutorial on Aiming

That's kind of tough to do, Rangeball. But I'll try...

If you read Ferguson's book, you'll see he talks about using the gap system to get started. Great stuff. A new shooter will pick up accuracy a lot quicker than using the ol' poke-n-hope, trial and error type instinctive shooting that Asbell teaches. Also, when you switch bows or arrow weights, you can figure out how the bow shoots andfigure out the gapswithin a few shots, so there's not acomplete relearning process going on when you change something.

But he also talks about later on, when you become fairly proficient with the gap system, to start concentrating more and more on the target and less and less on the gap. The way I interpret what he's talking about as far as becoming the arrow, is going past the gap system and moving right into instinctive shooting.

You become an instinctive shooter, but you know the exact method you used to get there, and you got there much quicker than you would have using trial and error. When something goes sour, you can backtrack to using the gap system again to get everything lined out and working. When you change to a different bow, you go back to gaps to figure it out, then continue on your merry way.

But the one common factor between the two different ways of aiming is this: Focus on and aim at the smallest part of the target you can see. Aim at the target butt and you might miss the whole thing. Aim at the target on the butt, and you might miss the target but hit the butt. Aim at the black circle in the middle of the target. You might miss the black circle, but hit the target. Aim at the X in the middle of the black circle. You might miss the X, but hit the black circle. Aim at the animal, you'll miss the animal. Aim at the hair directly over his heart. You might miss the hair, but hit the heart.

Some things Ferguson does don't work as well for me as some of the things Asbell does, and vice versa. Ferguson recommends using a deep hook, with the string all the way into the creases of his fingertips. Asbell pulls the string on his fingertips, just in front of the creases. I like Asbell's way better. Asbell says to not worry aboutyour anchor but Ferguson (correctly) stresses the importance of a solid anchor. Asbell says you've got to bend your knees to focus your concentration. Ferguson says you take a relaxed stance. My knees like the relaxed stancemuch betterthan doingthe semi-crouch.

And some things that work for me are things that neither of them do. Ferguson teaches using a low wrist, Asbell uses the high wrist. I like using a straight, neutral wrist position. Neither of the other two really work for me.

So, what I recommend doing is read both their books. Try out some ideas. Find out what worksfor you and incorporate it into your style. Ditch what doesn't work. Don't try to be a total clone of either one.

They both have equally good thoughts on bow/arrow tuning, and having everything set up and tuned properly is half the battle.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

That's kind of tough to do, Rangeball. But I'll try...

*** Pure Gold and why I love these forums ***
Thanks Art, that was PER-fect...

I've read Byron's book, the local Library is trying to get me the Asbell book, so far no luck even though their resource sharing alliance shows it available and not checked out. Probably a good thing, I'd probably read it, do something stupid like decide to revamp my entire shooting style mid-season... [:'(] Perhaps someone's looking out for me

I've been shooting between 5-23 yards for a long time now, most days I'm pretty good at hitting the kill zone, some days same spot as I'm looking at some days well enough to get the job done. On those other days when I just don't have it, I lay the bow down and try again the next day. It's funny, my first few shots are usually my best. I just hope that carries over on deer...

I haven't been consciously focusing on gap at all. Just trying to get the shaft under my eye and release when things look right. Now I have a plan to get better this winter when there's nothing left to kill but time.

Thanks again for taking the time and sharing so freely. Your insights really mean alot to me.

Old 10-19-2005, 01:20 PM

I'm still wet behind the ears, but I loved Rick Welch's Volume II on instructional shooting..... It made alot of sense to me and the way he shoots feels very natural to me.....

It also helps that he's a World Champion 3D shooter........
Old 10-20-2005, 08:16 AM

Rangeball-
You may be able to find a copy of Asbel's book on Ebay, which is where I got mine. Don't recall what I paid, but it wasn't very much.
The more I read andfiddle with technique, the more I realize that shooting is like a golf swing. There are basics that are very important, but there are minor variations (grip, anchor point, etc.) that work better for some people. However, like the golf swing, it is crucial to do everything the exact same way each time if one wants consistency.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dkeener

Rangeball-
You may be able to find a copy of Asbel's book on Ebay, which is where I got mine. Don't recall what I paid, but it wasn't very much.
Thanks. It is available through our Library resource sharing association, they will get it when I push them. When I request they get books for me, it's usually 2-3 at a time, and they come through with 1-2 of them and forget about the others...

The more I read andfiddle with technique, the more I realize that shooting is like a golf swing. There are basics that are very important, but there are minor variations (grip, anchor point, etc.) that work better for some people. However, like the golf swing, it is crucial to do everything the exact same way each time if one wants consistency.
Good info, and I agree completely
Old 10-20-2005, 11:04 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Lots of great info here already--I'll add what I can. Asbell does have some good information, but I haven't noticed much at all that you can't get from better sources. The mis-information can bugger up a new shooter that doesn't know any better.

I like Ferguson's book and Welch's video (Vol. II). One thing that really impresses me about both is that neither will tell you that their way is the only way, period. I've met both in person--Ferguson seems to be a great guy, very friendly and will talk your ear off or listen for as long as he has time; Welch was very quiet. Neither one gave an air of thiking they were better than anyone else.

I think Ferguson's method is better for the new archer, for the reason's Art stated. I don't agree with everything he says--I don't like a low wrist grip, and you can get good wood arrows--but those are personal preferance type things. The basics remain the same, regardless of how you fine-tune them: Consistent grip, anchor, release, and follow-through. Consistency is the key. Even if you hit the target high and right every time, you know what you need to do to correct that. If you are spraying arrows all over the target, you can't adjust for that.

Chad
Old 10-20-2005, 08:34 PM

I think it's good to aim the arrow at the spot you want to hit. It does become automatic after a while. For all aiming methods you should be a statue until the arrow hits the target.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:21 PM

I have only been shooting my falcon for like two days and I found it easy to get the hang of instinctive shooting. I concentrate on the spot I want to hit and draw and as soon as I hit my anchor I release. I start coming apart after fifty yards. I don't know if there is such thing as being a natural but it seems natural for me. I shot three for threebush chickens today. I am hooked and in love with this sport I will never pick up a compound again. As far as Byrons book "Becoming the arrow" I just ordered it because I like to take in as much info about this sport as I can.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:34 AM

Only shooting well out to 50 yards? By all means order some books. I'd never settle for that! Sooner or later you'll have that perfect 85 yard shot and be upset you didn't work harder at it.

Quick Reply: A tutorial on Aiming

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.