Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Recurve must have's for performance? >

Recurve must have's for performance?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Recurve must have's for performance?

Old 10-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Recurve must have's for performance?

As stated in another post I am going to start shooting my Pop's old Red Wing Hunter. It is basically a bare bow. What accessories would you guys suggest to get the best performance out of the bow. Not looking for sights, I want to learn how to shoot it natural. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Recurve must have's for performance?

To get the best performance out of that bow I suggest an arrow.

Old 10-05-2005, 07:52 AM

a string seriously , I just got mine all set up and finished. I purchased the following :

Quiver , String , Silencers , brush gaurds , arrows ( easton legacy 2216's ),tip protecters and a three finger glove. Shoots great , been out with it twice so far.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:02 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

If the string hasn't been replaced in a while, I'd start with that. Dacron only (B-50 or B-500), endless or flemish will work fine, 12-14 strands, depending on the draw weight (15-16 if it's 60+lbs). Strike plate and rug rest also. If the shelf isn't crowned and radiused, put a piece of matchstick, toothpick, etc. under the strike plate and rug rest so the arrow has minimal contact.

String silencers if you plan to hunt with it, no need if you don't. A glove or tab will be good, to keep your fingers from getting sore. Make sure to get a good fit with either of these--if you get a glove, get one that is so tight you can barely get it on when it's new--when it breaks in it will be just right. A loose fitting glove can be more aggravating than a mother-in-law.

Do your homework on arrows--get the proper spine. Work on form before you worry about accuracy. Start out close--real close. Most of all, have fun!

Chad
Old 10-09-2005, 03:50 PM

Accessories ? We don't need no steeenkin accessories !

As posted before, a new string (maybe) and some arrows and a glove. Your set.

The only "accessory" you may want for performance are string silencers. And the only thing they do is quiet the bow down a bit. So if your not hunting...dont' even worry about em.

Have fun !
Old 10-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

Yes I will be hunting with the bow. I already have a new string, strike plate and rug. I was just more interested in things to make the bow quiter. I'm not into gadgets. Thanks forall the info guys.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

For quieting it down, find the suggested brace height range and twist the string up and down within this range to find the quietest spot. Then install a good set of string silencers. Mine are llama wool.

If your shafts are too stiff, you could be getting slap against the riser. Watch for wear on the outside of your shelf plate which can be indicative of too stiff shaft spine.

Also, shooting a heavier arrow will absorb more of the bows energy and quiet things down.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Brace height would be around 8 1/2" - 9" for your bow, JCN. I'd suggest findingthe optimum brace height -for that particular bow, for the arrows you intend to shootand your shooting form - by starting out at 8" and then start twisting the string up until the bow quiets down and shoots straight.

It's better to tune the noise out than try to cover it up.String silencers are for whatever noise that simply won't tune out.