Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 The HUN has arrived... >

The HUN has arrived...

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

The HUN has arrived...

Old 09-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The HUN has arrived...

My new Chek-Mate Atilla arrived today at work.

Overall, fairly impressive as far as build quality goes. String nocks are cut pretty well (could be a bit smoother though), fadeouts are not too abrupt, and the overlays and fiberglass finish is nice.Overall, not striking to look atbut pretty in a plain jane sort of way. However, this bow retails for less than 3 bills. You won't find any production bow looking this nice at this price.

The gripis kinda big.Don't think I'll have much issue with it, but if you havesmall hands it probably would not be a good bow to get. Don't know if Check-Mate will cut a custom grip for a customer, but if they do, my next check-mate will certainly have to have a smaller grip throat. We'll see after I start shooting if I can get used to it.

Unfortunately she coulda been packed a bit better and got a pretty good ding on the grip area during shipping (box was a little mangled). Honestly, It's not a big deal because I'll be putting a leather grip on it, and the dingarea will be covered up, and I'm not gonna go through the hassle of fightin it out with the USPS. Of course this isn't the bows fault....just talkin out loud

46@ 28, Zebrawood riser, and black locust limbs. By the end of the week I should have some arrows fletched up, and ready to hit the bowshop and start shooting it (got all my other fletching stuff today, and my arrows on Saturday)

I'll throw some pics up tonite.

Old 09-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The HUN has arrived...

Just opened up my other box of goodies...

one thing of note:

I have never seen nor tried "AMG" brand feathers...they are relatively new...they are also less expensive than both Gateway & Trueflight brand feathers (why I bought them, plus curious). I looked over about 2/3 of the bag and they certainly seem to be cut and ground at least as well as most gateway brand I've used (which has prolly been thousands over the years). And best of all

A FLOURESCENT ORANGE THAT ACTUALLY LOOKS FLOURESCENT ORANGE. Not that dark punkinshell color like trueflight and gateway. These things are nearly as bright as the AAE/Easton flo orange vanes.

EDIT: I should also say, I was not expecting the Atilla to compare w/ say a Robertson or Morrison for sheer beauty....for the $ she's def a nice looking bow.

all for now...toodles
Old 09-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, those were pretty much my impressions of my Kings Pawn when I got it. And my same reaction. You don't expect Mercedes looks for a Yugo price.

I did take a file and sandpaper and did a bit of thinning down on my bow's grip tho... (Don't tell on me, Chad!)

This is the first I've heard of AMG feathers. Got a link?
Old 09-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

On the AMG feathers, did you get them from Keystone as well? What did they go for per dozen? Do they offered a barred version?
Old 09-12-2005, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Yep, those were pretty much my impressions of my Kings Pawn when I got it. And my same reaction. You don't expect Mercedes looks for a Yugo price.
Yup..I din't want my post to come off as I was disappointed..far from it. Just saying that while it's built very well (and hopefully she's a nice, smooth shooter), it's not A morrison or Robertson or such. I would liken it to the Saxon American Traditional series for aesthetic quality of wood grains/patterns, etc.

I did take a file and sandpaper and did a bit of thinning down on my bow's grip tho... (Don't tell on me, Chad!)
Hmm...I'd be afraid of riser integrity being compromisedon the atilla because it is basically alongbow w/ recurve limbs.

This is the first I've heard of AMG feathers. Got a link?
Art, I heard of 'em last year, but have never them 'til now. Nor could I find a website. I got them through www.keystonecountrystore.com
Old 09-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

On the AMG feathers, did you get them from Keystone as well? What did they go for per dozen? Do they offered a barred version?
Yes.

I bought a 100 pak. Think it was $28 (5" parabolic) EDIT: $30

Didn't notice if they had 'em or not EDIT: don't look like they do.

direct link http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ARB5APR1
Old 09-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I found those while you were sleeping...

Jeff, why'd you go long bow versus recurve? Just curious. I see many recurves and longbows that are the same length, heck many longbows seem to be center cut as well. Other than asthetics, is there any major differences between the two types?
Old 09-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I should note, were I able to use LW (have RW clamps for the Jo Jan), I would have gone with these. I'm not sure if it's a mis-mark, but this is a very good price.

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ARB5TSL1
Old 09-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well..actually it *is* a recurve.

When I first got into Trad archery, I hated longbows...just aesthetically. Not for any pertinent reasons. My first several trad bows were recurves..Martin Hunter, Bear Super Kodiak, and a Morrison.

I think though after shootingfor a bit Irealized I hated the higher wrist and bulkier grips ona recurve(which I hate on a compound too). I have medium size hands and most recurve grips are huge.My next few bows were made by Allegheny Mountain which has been outta business now for about 5 years. He made a hybrid bow called a "mountain bow" which had a small recurve riser with some seriously reflexy-deflex limbs.I've yet to see a bow that looked like that bow when strung..it was almost a gull-wing shape(the limbs themselves, not the riser and limbs like say on a trkish inspired bow). They had some serious speed and power. A bit noisy and a little unpleasant to shoot too comapred to a Morrison or such. (about $2 bills cheaper though too). I had two of them, one was a 56" all laminated black/grey maple/actionwood. the other was a 60" laminated grey and purplelheart (which was GORGEOUS). The first bow had a bigger higher wrist grip as I was trying to match my Super Kodiak's.The second, less heel as I learned this is NOT what I want. Eventually I got to where I preferred the longbow grips, and had another Morrison(which I FOOLISHLY sold, god what a bow..both in looks and performance/shootability), and a Saxon AT longbow.

I just prefer the longbow look and feel I guess, as well as older 50's style recurves with a small riser section. It's not a performance thing, and though I'm certainly no expert in trad bows, I do believe a recurve with it's more flexible limb tips is easier to torque. I'd love to have something like a Habu DeathAdder or even a Habu or Black Widow recurve. But to me, nothing is prettier and says "bowhunting bow" more than afairly low key R/D longbow with a cocobolo riser and red elm limbs. and my next custom bow will be just that. Simplicity & beauty defined

Old 09-13-2005, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry wasn't able to get any pics up last night due to an overzealous 5 year old who thought he was Spiderman

I will say she draws very smoothly....will try to get those pics up this week along with a few completed arrows.

BTW..I went with the Beman Max-4 500's for shafting(ST axis type). Very heavy carbon as is for the spine, and I also ordered some of the brass inserts for them..with or without I should be able to get in the 8.5-10 grains per pound range no prob. I grabbed a dozen of the arrows with no thought of sorting through them at the shop, and I lucked out. Most of them will be pretty darn straight *once cut* to length. Some of the pre-fletches I spun at the shop were just horrendous. [:'(]

These should make a helluva tradbow hunting shaft.