Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Fletch-  High profile versus regular? >

Fletch- High profile versus regular?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Fletch- High profile versus regular?

Old 09-09-2005, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Fletch- High profile versus regular?

I tend to favor the maxi and the 5 1/2 shield for hunting. I don't notice much difference between them. The smaller fletches are a little faster and maybe a little quieter. The maxi's do seem to need a small breaking in period though. Someone here mentioned shooting your feathers through cardboard to break them in fast. I may try that someday, sounds like a good idea. One small problem that doesn't bother me too much is the color selection is pretty small with the maxi fletch.

Oh, my main hunting head this year is a stinger 150 grain. Muzzy phantoms are also flying nice, but they are a bit noisier then the stingers, I am also having a small problems with baldes loosening in the ferule. Other heads that I have used with these arrows are Stos two blade, magnus two blade, and muzzy four balde 145 grain
Old 09-09-2005, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey be nice about my arrows. They still get the job done (25 yards).

BTW...how in the hell did you manage to get an Adcock Bobco?...that guys has like a 3 year wait...or did ya buy used?
I actually had an order with OL for an entirely different bow about a year before OL had went completely with the ACS design. He called me and offered either my money back because he wouldn't be able to make the bow that I ordered, or I could get an ACS for the same price that my other bow was to be made for and he would start on it right away. After about a micro second of thinking...............................
Old 09-09-2005, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Hey be nice about my arrows. They still get the job done (25 yards).
Good shootin! And seriously, I do like 'em...was jes teezin about the GGs.

I actually had an order with OL for an entirely different bow about a year before OL had went completely with the ACS design. He called me and offered either my money back because he wouldn't be able to make the bow that I ordered, or I could get an ACS for the same price that my other bow was to be made for and he would start on it right away. After about a micro second of thinking...............................
Took ya that long?

I used to use the maxi-fletch/banana cutstoo...and will again in time...I ordered some 5" parabolics for now because I couldn't find any shieldsin RW...which is what my clamps for the jo-jan are...
Old 09-09-2005, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always liked the looks of the Yukon shaft. I think it was discontinued last year, don't know if one can still get any or not... They'd look sweet with some nice barred fletch
Old 09-09-2005, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always liked the looks of the Yukon shaft. I think it was discontinued last year, don't know if one can still get any or not...
http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=220

Fall Stalker is also decent looking.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeffB

I used to use the maxi-fletch/banana cutstoo...and will again in time...I ordered some 5" parabolics for now because I couldn't find any shieldsin RW...which is what my clamps for the jo-jan are...
Kustom King has True Flight RW shield and parabolic, both regular and high profile.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:25 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Feathers are added basically to correct any mistakes we make. If my release is good (not often) my arrows will fly straight for at least 20-25 yds with no feathers at all (with field points). With broadheads, it's a different story--they can act like feathers on the front end and steer the arrow if you don't have anything on the back end to control it.

High profile feathers are noisier, and will slow your arrow down quicker. Usually, if you have your bow tuned and your arrows match the bow properly, you won't need a big feather to keep your arrow flying straight. I know guys that shoot 4" feathers with broadheads, and do great. I shoot 5" regular profile, and have no problems with broadheads.

I don't think the larger feathers will be much if any hinderance at the ranges most folks limit themselves to for hunting.

Chad
Old 10-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

5" shield cuts work best for me