Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Know anything about feather tracers? >

Know anything about feather tracers?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Know anything about feather tracers?

Old 09-08-2005, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Know anything about feather tracers?

Like these-

http://ns1.bowsite.org/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=6&Product_ID=321&CAT ID=8

I like the idea of having more visibility when the arrows heading downrange.

Do tracers like these affect arrow flight at all? What about when they are installed in front of the fletch, like the one seen in the pic? When in front, are they as visible in flight?
Old 09-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Know anything about feather tracers?

I always liked feather tracers on my hunting arrows, then they went out of production or, at least, they couldn't be found. Didn't know they were back! I don't remember them causing any differences in arrow flight, but it's been a good 20 years since the last time I had any.

IMO, when you put the tracers in front of the feathers, they're just decoration. You can't see the tracers from behind. If you want to use them as tracers, put them between the feathers and the nock.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I always liked feather tracers on my hunting arrows, then they went out of production or, at least, they couldn't be found. Didn't know they were back! I don't remember them causing any differences in arrow flight, but it's been a good 20 years since the last time I had any.
Hey, don't buy them all before I order some...

IMO, when you put the tracers in front of the feathers, they're just decoration. You can't see the tracers from behind. If you want to use them as tracers, put them between the feathers and the nock.
Thanks. I was really hoping this wasn't so, as I think they look better in the front.

What color tracer did you like to use on whitetails? I'm thinking yellow will show up best, but it will clash with my barred bright orange fletch. I was thinking orange, but perhaps white would be the way to go.
[/quote]
Old 09-08-2005, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I almost always used white. But I can tell you that hot pink shows up real good in snow.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Too much information...

[8D]
Old 09-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

I've never used them, but couldn't imagine that they wouldn't make a difference. I always fletch my huntng arrows with white feathers. Can always see the arrow in flight to POI. If your the do it your self type, go to a craft store and you should be able to findfeathers of the variety you need in various colors.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:41 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I have a pack of white made from rabbit fur, and a pack or two of chartruese made from feathers, but I haven't used them yet. If I think of it, I'll put them on my hunting arrows this year.

I can see chartruese, pink, and yellow the best. I have some hunting arrows that are painted cadium yellow, with yellow feathers and a yellow nock. They absolutely glow, even in low light. The deer I killed with one of them season-before-last didn't seem to mind the color. At worst, I'll have a bright cap, feathers, and nock on my hunting arrows. White shows up, but not as well for me.

If you use a tracer, I think a color that contrasts with your cap/feathers would be the way to go--if one doesn't show up well, chances are the other will. I don't think they will have any effect on arrow flight or speed--at least not enough to notice (unless you take 80 yds shots at critters).

Art, I think Gateway still offers them. You can pick up a rabbit hide pretty cheap, and I have seen them in all different colors at shoots. Don't remember who made the fur ones I have--they are several years old, and I think the label is gone. Looking at a craft store is also a good idea.

Chad
Old 09-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

I think they look better in the front.
but it will clash with my barred bright orange fletch.
Want me to call the producers of ***** Eye for the Straight Guy, and see if those guys can get your arrows sorted out?
Old 09-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeffB

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

I think they look better in the front.
but it will clash with my barred bright orange fletch.
Want me to call the producers of ***** Eye for the Straight Guy, and see if those guys can get your arrows sorted out?
No thank you. The last thing I want is help with my shaft from those "fellas"... [:'(]
Old 09-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

A few years ago I put some on arrows just for grins- dug in to my fly tying stuff and used a bright red rabbit fur. They look pretty whizzy but I really didn't find them all that useful, other than to give my shooting buddies a brighter point to aim at during 3-D.

RC