Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tracers

Old 06-07-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Tracers

Have any of you guys used any tracer rounds out of your rifles. Im thinking of getting some tracer for my 223 and my 22, do you guys think this will wear out the barrel quicker?
Old 06-07-2005, 11:16 AM

Default RE: Tracers

I've shot a few, just to see if they'd light. They did and I was done.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:45 PM

i run them threw my mini-14 without any damage. most of the time just before or sometimes after dark to put on a light show. i load a 40 round magazine with one every 3 or 4 round. i use full medal jackets in the rest of the mag. then i shoot at the medal targets we have out in the fields. between the muzzel flash, the tracers and the sparks from the fmj's hitting the medal target it is a pretty good show. most people think it's great. Cabela's has them on sale right now for 7.99 for 20 rounds. that's about the best deal i found.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe a tracer if it does its job well, should add barrel wear if you shoot them alot. Some are doggone corrosive. As always, clean after shooting, and again in a few days.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think that you should have any trouble with U.S. or NATO surplus tracer ammo. A machinegun might shoot thousands of tracers over the service life of the barrel without troubles (1 out of 5 rounds is a tracer on all the belted MG ammo I ever shot). I highly doubt that U.S. tracer ammo is corrosive. As for the cheap foreign (Eastern Bloc) ammo, who knows. I wouldn't shoot that crap in any rifle that I wanted to keep in good shooting order. $200 SKS? Big deal. $1000+ AR? Not if it's my gun.

Mike
Old 06-20-2005, 04:15 PM
KEM

Tracers dont light till after they exit the barrel so there is no extra wear. They do however fly funny as material is leaving as it goes. Used to play alot with them and have seen some pretty cool deflections. Just don't expect to hit what you aiming at
Old 06-20-2005, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have a few for my '06 but haven't shot any of them.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

tracers usually wont do much damage in a gun that already groups 3" to 6" inches. I have seen tracers turn a sub 1 inch gun into a 3" to 6" gun with excessive tracer use. If I were gonna use tracers alot in a gun id prefer it to have a chrome line bore.