Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 New Bow/Min. Draw Weight >

New Bow/Min. Draw Weight

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

New Bow/Min. Draw Weight

Old 07-29-2005, 11:57 AM

Default New Bow/Min. Draw Weight

First, I need to say thanks to all of those who helped me pick my recurve back up...

Moving on, I recieved a new recurve from my grandfather. It's a Zipper #55...wow, that thing shoots! Im still working on it, but I should be hunting with it this fall. I believe it is red-elm and osage, but will check. I love that thing!

Next, my best friend just got his first recurve, a PSE Impala, he is very happy with it, so I am aswell. But, it is pulling 40#. I told him with the right arrow, shaving sharp cut-on-contact broadhead, good arrow flight and placement he could put down a deer, but I wanted a second opinion...the bow I shot last year pulled 42# so I needed re-assuring.

Thanks again...
Old 07-29-2005, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Bow/Min. Draw Weight

Check your state's game laws and find out what the legal minimum draw weight is. It's 40 in Texas but some states say 45 and some don't have any draw weight minimum at all. But you're right. A well tuned 40 pound recurve & razor sharp cut on contact head will definitely kill anything deer size and smaller. That is, as long as shot distance is reasonable and shot placement is good. I'd say to keep arrow weight up between 400-500 grains though.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:11 PM

first off good luck with your new bow sounds like it would be a sweet shooter and yes you can kill a deer with a 40lb bow pretty easy if you are a good shot i even heard of a person killing a black bear with a 45lb recurve at 26in draw it should be great
Old 07-29-2005, 12:18 PM

It's definitely enough to blow through a deer's vitals.... A shoulder or spine hit probably wouldn't work out too good. But a 40# glass backed bow slings an arrow pretty dern fast...