Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Newbie to traditional archery.  Have a few Questions. >

Newbie to traditional archery. Have a few Questions.

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Newbie to traditional archery. Have a few Questions.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:16 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Newbie to traditional archery. Have a few Questions.

It's just fine to cant your bow--most of us do that. The one trick to that is to keep your head at approximately the same angle--if you have to cant a lot, bend your neck a lot.

Pinching the nock can cause problems, finger pinch (bow too short for your draw, regardless if it stacks or not) can cause problems, a nock that fits too tight can cause problems.....just narrow it down and you will find the right form and set-up.

Chad
Old 06-15-2005, 10:00 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I did some reading and shot my recurve for a bit tonight (first time since before last bow season) and shot at "the block". Started off at 10 yards and did pretty good (don't laugh, figure I should start off at a short distance and work my way out). Moved back to 15 yds and I'd have one string of 5 arrows then bad string of 5 (still kept all on the target though). Then my last two rounds at 15yds were pretty good. Several bulls-eyes, with 3 of 5 arrows in the bulls-eye on my last 5 shots.....figure I'd quit there! LOL

I was really paying attention to my knocking point though (I do this with compound but shooting this recurve is quite different) and also paying attention to my bow arm and how the overall draw felt. Maybe once I get some books and/or tapes I can get even more serious and feel comfortable enough by hunting season to actually use it this year!!
Old 06-16-2005, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like your on your way! Let us know how you make out.

And don't worry about accuracy at all when you're working on various aspects of form. Sometimes what I do is shoot as accurate as I can in the beginning of a practice session, not concentrating on form at all (hopefully after practicing form as much as I do things will come automatically). Then I switch to the form mode and concentrate on one aspect (my weakest pointsare follow through, and concentrating on the target until the arrow gets there). When I'm in the mode form, as long as the arrow hits the target somewhere and doesn'tgo through a window or something, I'm satisfied.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:01 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

You have the right idea--start close and work your way out. It's a lot better to hit the target at 5-10 yards than spend the day looking for arrows because you started shooting from 30 yds.

Like Bob said, when you are working on form, you NEED to stand close. You want to concentrate on proper form without the distraction of worrying about loosing arrows. One method is to stand so close you can't miss, then close your eyes so you aren't distracted by the target and focus on your draw, anchor, release, and follow through. Once you get these ingrained in your brain, you will do them automatically and can concentrate on accuracy. One thing Bob mentioned that is hard for a lot of folks (myself included) to do--stay focused on the spot until the arrow hits. That helps a LOT--you will find that often when you miss, you didn't really miss--you hit right where you were looking when the arrow got there.

Sounds like you are on the right track--keep up the good work!

Chad
Old 06-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

--you will find that often when you miss, you didn't really miss--
Well said Chad.

It may sound strange but it is very true.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

I kind of noticed that when I was really concentrating, then I would hit a bulls-eye or in the proximity of it. Guess I just couldn't really comprehend exactly why.

I'll have to keep that tip in the back of mind when shooting next time!
Old 06-16-2005, 10:37 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I hope that made some kind of sense. Going back and reading it later, I almost confused myself![8D]

Chad
Old 06-17-2005, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Actually it made perfect sense for some reason!