Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Penetration test >

Penetration test

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Penetration test

Old 11-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default Penetration test

Hey guys, I had a few minutes, a few arrows, a couple of broadheads and some curiosity, so I thought I'd share this with you. all shots were taken with an Exocet 300 at 20 yards into a Block target. The masking tape was applied to the arrows to mark the depth of penetration. This is just a FYI. They are all Lazer 2s. Starting from the left the first two are 100 gr G5 Strikers, the third and four ones are 85 gr Magnus Stingers and the last one one on the right is a 100 gr Magnus Stinger. Check it out guys. The one on the left is the deepest penetrator. It is 100 grains with a brass insert. The second deepest is the 100 grain broadhead with the lightest shaft. The shallowest is the the G5 with an aluninum insert. The Magnus Stingers are a two blade with a bleeder blade(four cutting edges) that has a great reputation for penetrating deer shoulder blades. From left to right they are 20/22/20/20/22 inch shafts. The 22s all have brass inserts and the 20s have aluninum inserts.
What are your thoughts guys? I personally like the one on the right.
Lets hear it guys!

Old 11-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Penetration test

So,which broadhead do you use for hunting,I am using what Barnett
recomended,NAP Spitfire 125 grains,bought 1/2 doz.off E-Bay,I used
Muzzys out of my compound bow,just curious to what you use.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Hmmmmm Wasp Jackhammers, Thunderheads, Stingers, Razorcaps, and more! Depends on my mood. Once I put the servings on my strings they all shoot the same point of impact. Same as field points. I'll say one thing about the G5 Strikers. They are truly scarey sharp! Even AFTER shooting into the Block target two times! Just an amazing broadhead. I would be embarrased to tell you how many broadheads I've bought and tested recently. I think I might use Magnus Stingers exclusively though. Shoot like darts, tough, easily sharpened. Might be Strikers though, not sure yet. I want to wack one deer with each broadhead! LOL! BTW the Striker is a cut on contact broadhead. The tip is sticky sharp and the edges are sharp!
Old 11-25-2006, 11:53 AM

Well first off Don I smiled from ear to ear when I seen a post titled like that from you!! But the one on the left looks good to me. Also Are those all gold tip arrows?
Old 11-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like 5 pass-thrus, 5 dead deer in your capable hands, to me, lol. Thanks for taking the time and sharing!! I'd use the most accurate if I could ever ger a deer to co-operate.

Old 11-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Jason, yes the are all Gold Tips, LOL. Was on a buying spree and couldn't help myself. Also got some 20" shafts and brass insert and fletched them with Blazers. I've found that once my string alignment was extremely consistant it doesn't matter what I put in the bow, they all shoot accurately from all the xbows.
Dan, I honestly cannot say which one is more accurate now. They are all the same. Funny stuff to be sure!

Old 11-26-2006, 03:30 PM

I think if you're testing to see which will penetrate bone better, you should use bone- or something close- not foam. For me shooting big animals (elk), my experience shows that heavy overall weight and 2 blade heads penetrate bone the best- anything will shoot right through the chest of a whitetail if you don't center punch a rib or hit the scapula but I have found that when things go wrong, nothing beats a heavy bolt/ arrow and a nice 2 blade head. How many times have you seen someone on TV shoot a super light carbon (usually from a compound bow) into a WT and it runs away with that flag waving with very poor penetration. There is no way that any modern compound should fail to fully penetrate a WT deer. The same rules apply to crossbows. If I was mainly hunting WT's I might use a bit lighter bolts, but for elk, I shoot 625 gr. bolts and traditional Zwicky heads. If you want more info. on real penetration tests on real animals, check out Dr. Ashby's reports on Tradgang.com. They shoot 90# bows at a bunch of African animals and test a lot of different BHs and arrow weights. I would think that a 90# vert. bow would outshoot a lot of crossbows that we use so it's good info. Just my .02
Old 11-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

The test was more for fun, read into it what you want. It is relative test only. I don't think I am going to buy some scapulas and then clean the mess up and replace a bunch of arrows and broadheads. This is a chain thread and its been passed on to you grndhntr! Your turn!
Ok seriously, as good as Zwickys are they are meant for a slower heavier arrow. I am betting that the two broadheads will break any bone in NA. I wouldn't stake my life on the Stiker but I would on the Stinger. The Striker is one awsome broadhead though. I am not exagerating about the sharpness and its the first broadhead I've seen stay sticky sharp after shooting into a foam target a few times. Weight is definately a factor in driving the broadheads deeper as the "test" shows.
"There is no way that any modern compound should fail to fully penetrate a WT deer." I agree. Most of those flag waving situation are probably caused by poor arrow flight. Poor tunining being the major cause. If you want to see penetration check out the elephant video on the Excaliber site. I don't have the specs on the equipment for that shoot but I bet Dan does.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:49 PM

Yeah, I was wondering if Bill weighted his bolts a bit to shoot at elephants. Seems most guys chasing buffalo in Africa and Australia with vert. bows are weighting their arrows to about 1000 grains. Does anyone know if Bill used a heavier bolt on his elephant?...Actually, I may start a seperate thread and ask again. Grndhntr.