Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Low LB Penetration? >

Low LB Penetration?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Low LB Penetration?

Old 03-10-2009, 05:26 PM

Default Low LB Penetration?

I just bought my 13 year old son a Parker Sidekick set at 40lbs. The minimum draw weight for Deer hunting in NC is 35lbs.After watching him shoot it today, it can't imagine it would achieve a full pass through on a deer.

Has anyone out there shot a deer with 35# - 40# draw weight or seen it done? I'm thinking he'll need to use a fixed broadhead as mechanicals will only slow the arrow down.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Low LB Penetration?

it's definetly do-able with shots under 15 yards or so I've heard...that being said...

My younger brother got a #35lb draw bow, and I was so disappointed with it's performance that I wouldn't even let him go for his licensing test with it, lol. It's an ethics thing for me...I ended up upgrading and passing him down my PSE that's adjustable from 40 - 55lbs.... the difference between pulling 35 and 45lbs is amazing. If you feel the same way look into martins...idk the exacts but some of them are adjustable over a HUGE range.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

a good fixed 2 blade cut on contact like Magnus stinger will be a great choice for a low poundage setup...

keep shots close and accuracy and shot placement are critical...a pass through wouldnt be as amazing as you may think with a good razor sharp cut on contact 2 blade head put behind the should at a closer range...

good luck...
Old 03-10-2009, 05:41 PM

The bow is a 40# to 50# tuned down to 40#. It is actually a pretty good bow. Even though the draw length is way short for me, I was able to put 3 shots in a 3 inch circle at 20 yards. He can only pull back the 40# at this point. I'll have to assess penetration with the fixed broadhead on it. The spot we'll be hunting will keep the shot inside of 20yards from a ground blind.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

A good, solid, sharp head such as a Razor Trick will penetrate great out of a low poundage bow. While not absolutely necessary I'd stick with the cut on contact type head.

I have seen several deer shot with 35# to 40# setups and get acomplete passthrough. Kat shot her 1st deer at 33 yards with a 85 grain Slick Trick pushed by only 37# and got a complete passthrough.

The most important thing is at least a medium weight arrow with adequate FOC, sharp broadhead, and an accurately placed shot.

Dan
Old 03-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

my brother had a complete pass through on a BB this year at 30 yards using magnus stingers buzzcut, the deer only ran 80 yards and the arrow stuck in the ground
he was using a 38 LB browing micro midas
Old 03-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

x2
ORIGINAL: mauser06

a good fixed 2 blade cut on contact like Magnus stinger will be a great choice for a low poundage setup...

keep shots close and accuracy and shot placement are critical...a pass through wouldnt be as amazing as you may think with a good razor sharp cut on contact 2 blade head put behind the should at a closer range...

good luck...
Old 03-11-2009, 10:15 AM

We got my wife the same bow. She started out at 30lbs and has been moving up to 40 slowly. She is at 35 right now and doing great. I believe that a fixed blade will be on her arrows at the beginning of season and have the confidence in her to be able to execute the shot. Parker has the step up deal where for a few $ you can send it to the factory and they will put the 40-50lb limbs on it. Probably after this next deer season we will do that for her. But definately the starting out low kept her interested long enough to become a pretty good shot and now she enjoys it thoroughly.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Sure it'll work. Not ideal, but a lot of ladies have shot deer with low poundage bows. Heck, look at all the deer killed with recurves in the old days when speeds were way below 200 fps. If he practices he'll beable to pull a few more pounds in no time. At this point keep it low, work on form and the muscles will build. Work out a plan after a month or so to crank it up a pound every other week or something like that. Penetration will be no problem at 20 yards if you have a good SHARP fixed broadhead, maybe a 2 blade with some bleeders. Bow tuned to the optimum for himfor the best arrow flight will also be a must. If form is wrong or irratic, penetration will suffer.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a relative that shoots a 37lb longbow for deer (in NC), and he gets pass thru's on the great majority of his deer.

Quick Reply: Low LB Penetration?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.