HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Penetration test
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2006, 03:30 PM
grndhntr

Default RE: Penetration test

I think if you're testing to see which will penetrate bone better, you should use bone- or something close- not foam. For me shooting big animals (elk), my experience shows that heavy overall weight and 2 blade heads penetrate bone the best- anything will shoot right through the chest of a whitetail if you don't center punch a rib or hit the scapula but I have found that when things go wrong, nothing beats a heavy bolt/ arrow and a nice 2 blade head. How many times have you seen someone on TV shoot a super light carbon (usually from a compound bow) into a WT and it runs away with that flag waving with very poor penetration. There is no way that any modern compound should fail to fully penetrate a WT deer. The same rules apply to crossbows. If I was mainly hunting WT's I might use a bit lighter bolts, but for elk, I shoot 625 gr. bolts and traditional Zwicky heads. If you want more info. on real penetration tests on real animals, check out Dr. Ashby's reports on Tradgang.com. They shoot 90# bows at a bunch of African animals and test a lot of different BHs and arrow weights. I would think that a 90# vert. bow would outshoot a lot of crossbows that we use so it's good info. Just my .02