Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Will Archery Gear with-stand Extreme Cold Weather? >

Will Archery Gear with-stand Extreme Cold Weather?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Will Archery Gear with-stand Extreme Cold Weather?

Old 04-12-2005, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Will Archery Gear with-stand Extreme Cold Weather?

I've used my gear in cold weather here in Kansas with wind-chills down to -20 degree temperature without any problems. I use a PSE bow. I am currently in process of planning a trip to Cambridge Bay, Nunavut, for a couple years from now. The season I want to hunt is in March and since it's about 200 miles north of the Artic Circle, the temperatures average - 15 to -30 degree temperatures, and with windchill pushing -50.

My question is how will a lot of my archery gear hold up in -50 degree temp. I am going to purchase a newer and faster bow for better penetration of the musk ox. It's a trip I look forward to and want to make sure everything is planned right before I book it. Does anyone have any cold experiences with their archery gear, or have any info on the effects of archery gear in cold weather? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Will Archery Gear with-stand Cold Weather?

I've read some articles from those -50 to -70 hunts!!! It will certainly be a tremendous strain for both the hunter and his equipment. I've read where you couldn't bring your bow inside the tent at night because the condensation would cause it to freeze and shatter the next day! Simple, solid designs for every accessory is the key. I know I have seen a handful of folks on the forums that have hunted Musk Ox and could no doubt offer some great advice. I know a couple of these guys are found in the Bowhunting forum on Archerytalk.com. Best of luck to ya. That would be an awesome prehistoric trophy!
Old 04-12-2005, 12:32 PM

Default RE: Will Archery Gear with-stand Cold Weather?

yes, but not a broken heart......

really, i don't know. i'm not sure i could.