Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 POLYPROPYLENE extreme weather gear >

POLYPROPYLENE extreme weather gear

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

POLYPROPYLENE extreme weather gear

Old 01-19-2006, 06:41 PM

Default POLYPROPYLENE extreme weather gear

Hello, I have had several questions regarding Polypropylene clothing. I wanted to take this opportunitity to answer a few questions. Polypropylene clothing is great for extreme weather conditions. Polypropylene has the lowest thermal conductivity of any traditional apparel fiber. Dry polypropylene does not absorb moisture: its unique vapor transfer ability moves moisture away from your skin and keeps you dry no matter what you are doing. Whether you are out skiing the slopes, trial riding, hunting, fishing, or just working out in the yard, polypropylene apparel will keep you warm and dry in cold weather conditions. I like to think of it as " The science of staying warm".
Old 01-22-2006, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: POLYPROPYLENE extreme weather gear

i saw that no one replied and being your first post WELCOME! I wanted to comment on my experience with the expedition weight polypropolene. i think it works great but i love wool better. the polypropolene tends to get stinky and when you wear it next to your skin and you sweat a bit it feels like thousands of tiny cold water drops. kinda a gross feeling. polypropolene sock liners next to your skin leaves my feet feeling clamy. my feelings is that although in the laboratory polypropolene may wick water away i think its better to wear poly over a light layer of wool. wool i believe can hold more moisture before loosing its warmth properties. you also need loft and trapped air space so i like to get loose fitting cloths over my intial next tothe skin layer. if all else fails just get one of these http://www.warmers.com/ItemDetails.a...oryID%7citemid
Old 01-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: POLYPROPYLENE extreme weather gear

I have used polypropolene long underwear and long sleeved shirts for many years -- since 1984. When deer hunting I usually wear polypropolene as my first layer. I find it keeps me dry and has never made me uncomfortable. My polypropolene is old -- purchased in 1984 -- and feels a little scratchy next to my skin: this is the only discomfort I have ever felt RE polypropolene. Maybe the technology has improved in the last 20 years and polypropolene avoids this scratchy feeling, but it hasn't been something that deterred me from using this very successful technology.

I'm planning a hunting trip for mid October at about 11,000' in the Southern Colorado rocky mountains and I'm looking to get something a bit warmer as this first layer. I don't know if that will be expedition weight polypropolene of some other synthetic fiber that wicks moisture effectively.