Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Adjustable or Fixed Sight? >

Adjustable or Fixed Sight?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Adjustable or Fixed Sight?

Old 04-10-2005, 06:08 AM

Default Adjustable or Fixed Sight?

I've noticed alot more people are using adjustable sights these days such as the Impact Cosmic, HHA Optimizer just to name a few. I really like the idea of using one sight pin, especially fiber optic wrapped, but it kind of seams like a hastle to be adjusting your sight for different yardages. I've only used fixed sights in the past, but must admit some of the newer models such as the ones mentioned above have peeked my interest a bit. What are ya'lls thoughts on adjustable sights vs. fixed?
Old 04-10-2005, 06:51 AM

Default RE: Adjustable or Fixed Sight?

Swamp Dog,

It depends on how you hunt and how you practice.

I have been using an HHA optimizer slider sight for quite a few years now. Great sight. I liked it because my shots were normally between 15 and 25 yards, and I could just set it at 20 and compensate slightly.

The only problem with that is that you may have to compensate a lot with a slower bow (such as mine). Shots a lot closer or further away are going to take more thought than they would if you had specific pins.

I like the slider though because I can practice out to 80 yards with it. I dont know if you like to practice that far, but it really helps your confidence at shorter ranges. It also allows you to practice ANY distance without the clutter of multiple pins distracting you.

I must warn you though, unless your bow is fast and able to utilize one pin from 10-30 yds with minor compensation, I dont suggest using a single pin slider. Im getting away from single pin sliders now...leaning towards two set pins or better yet.....

Take a look at the multi pin sliders, they have three pins but the ability to slide. I dont know that I would keep three pins on it, but two is not distracting and seems to be a good number for hunting where I do. Yet still allows you to shoot long range without distraction.

I loved the idea of two pins on a slider, so I altered my HHA. First I drilled a hole through the top of the scope. Then I cut off the base of a regular fiber optic pin. Using this "shaft" of a regular pin, I was able to slide the pin up into the hole and adjust it to be a decent gap from the existing pin. Then I tapped the hole that runs towards the pin from the front of the scope. I put a set screw in there and this locked the "new top pin" in place. I had to cut the fiber optic piece down and steam-bend it to fit the inside of the scope, I also held it to the pin using a tiny rubber band.

Now my old HHA optimizer sliding single pin sight, has two vertical pins. One from the top and one from the bottom. It works awesome, and allows me to set my sight at about 20 and 30 without having to compensate. I can still slide the sight down for practicing at longer ranges though.

I hope that helps---Matt
Old 04-12-2005, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot fixed pins because of the conveneince when hunting. I have the pins setup on even yardage with the gap between the pins for an exact split yardage between pins. I try to keep my hunting setup as simple as possible. The more variables the greater the chance of making a mistake when making the shot. Adjustable sights are great for target and 30-D where time is of little concern. In a hunting situation things seem to happen quickly and I don't need to second guess if all my adjustments are correct before releasing an arrow.
Good Hunting.....
Old 04-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will probably go to a sliding sight for bow season this year, my bow is fast enough that I can set the pin on 20 yards and hold dead on out to 25 yards, and hold slightly high for 30 without adjusting. If I have something come in at my personal max hunting yardage of 40 yards, in my opinion if I don't have the time to adjust the slider, I probably shouldn't be shooting at the animal. I don't shoot a slider in the off season because bowhunter class in 3D won't allow it to my knowledge.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rick, a suggestion if you don't mind. It might help Swamp Dog's decision process. If I had a bow that shot like that, I'd sight in at 27 yards so I could hold dead on all the way to 30 yards and a second pin set for 40. That way I would only have to use Kentucky windage out between 30 and 40, and I wouldn't have to take my eyes off the critter to adjust a slider at all.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:28 AM

Rick, a suggestion if you don't mind. It might help Swamp Dog's decision process. If I had a bow that shot like that, I'd sight in at 27 yards so I could hold dead on all the way to 30 yards and a second pin set for 40. That way I would only have to use Kentucky windage out between 30 and 40, and I wouldn't have to take my eyes off the critter to adjust a slider at all.
That is a very good suggestion Aurther. Thanks. I may try that with my fixed sight. I think I have made up my mind that I am going to go with a Spot Hogg. I'm just not sure I want a sight that I would have to worry about adjusting. As someone else mentioned, when you have a critter underneath your stand, things can happen really fast. The last thing I need is to worry about adjusting my sight, (if it was a single pin model). I guess I am going to subcribe to the KISS thoery on this one!
Old 04-13-2005, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Swamp Dawg

That is a very good suggestion Aurther. Thanks. I may try that with my fixed sight. I think I have made up my mind that I am going to go with a Spot Hogg. I'm just not sure I want a sight that I would have to worry about adjusting. As someone else mentioned, when you have a critter underneath your stand, things can happen really fast. The last thing I need is to worry about adjusting my sight, (if it was a single pin model). I guess I am going to subcribe to the KISS thoery on this one!
If you are buying a spot hogg, check out the prices at twomorrowssupply.com. Bill there helped me out in a pinch and really went out of his way at his expense to get me a sight before this weekend so I could make a 3D shoot, and his prices are better than most. I would definately give him a shot.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use both sight's ,I use my Spott Hogg for 3D and I use my Cosmic for hunting .I find while hunting I'm set for 30yrd shot and anything inside doesn't effect it too much ,but I agree you'll need to compensate a little up real close or just outside the 30yrd .If the animal is say 40yrds + then you'll have time to make a little adjustment ,but most of my kill's have been inside the 30yrd mark and have yet had to make any adjustment's on my sight .

nubo
Old 04-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

My favorite site is fast becoming no site at all. It puts the concentration down range at the target, not at arms length.