Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 adjustable sight >

adjustable sight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

adjustable sight

Old 12-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default adjustable sight

What are the advantages of an adjustable sight?
Old 12-21-2004, 09:53 AM

Default RE: adjustable sight

good- only one pin to look at, not a clutter of several pins to try to focus on only one, and hope its the right one. Precise yardage adjustment, if it is 34 yards you put it on 34 yards and shoot, no holding high or low with this pin or that. Smaller sight housing, and usually a round sight aperture, which seems to help me since mine will center in my peep perfectly.

now the bad-- when the animal is coming in you have to set the sight for the yardage the animal is at,, and hope it doesnt move from that yardage, you have the added movement of adjusting your sight when the game approaches,, and sometimes you dont have time to adjust if it is coming quickly. You also have to make sure you have the locking screw tight or you could bump it and move it. I think my biggest problem is getting caught up and excited when a big buck is coming in, and forget to check to see where it is at.
All in all i think it is better to use a single pin adjustabel sight, but thats just me, only you can decide if its right for you.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the info
Old 12-22-2004, 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Angus74

good- only one pin to look at, not a clutter of several pins to try to focus on only one, and hope its the right one. Precise yardage adjustment, if it is 34 yards you put it on 34 yards and shoot, no holding high or low with this pin or that. Smaller sight housing, and usually a round sight aperture, which seems to help me since mine will center in my peep perfectly.

now the bad-- when the animal is coming in you have to set the sight for the yardage the animal is at,, and hope it doesnt move from that yardage, you have the added movement of adjusting your sight when the game approaches,, and sometimes you dont have time to adjust if it is coming quickly. You also have to make sure you have the locking screw tight or you could bump it and move it. I think my biggest problem is getting caught up and excited when a big buck is coming in, and forget to check to see where it is at.
All in all i think it is better to use a single pin adjustabel sight, but thats just me, only you can decide if its right for you.
For what it's worth, reason #2 is why I'm gonna try a fixed-pin sight for next season. I has a number of frantic moments this year trying to decide where to set my yardage while Mr. Big was fast approaching. It cost me greatly, as I ended up trying to compensate and shooting high on a HUGE 8 point. No exaggeration, I would now have a 150" 8-point hanging from my wall if I'd had fixed pins. That's my excuse anyway, and I'm running with it! [8D]