Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
"Broadhead Grouping" >

"Broadhead Grouping"

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

"Broadhead Grouping"

Old 09-15-2002, 01:25 PM

Default "Broadhead Grouping"

I've never had this problem but here goes! I'm shooting a real good group with my practice points (100grns.)! Then I screwed in a couple of broadheads and shoot a few times and I'm shooting to the right about 3.5 to 4 inches. I read a manaul I've downloaded and it said to move my rest to the left. That throwed my center shoot way off and I don't like that! Should I re-adjust my sites just before season opens and then when I practice just live with my groups shooting to the right or what? Can anyone help me with my problem? Thanks! Low-Shot

HUNT LONG - HUNT HARD
Old 09-15-2002, 05:52 PM

Default RE: "Broadhead Grouping"

I have the same problem with my setup. I would like to hear any imput on this also. Someone suggessted to me that my arrows were to underspined. I don't think that is the case, but I kept moving the rest and nothing changed. Someone please help us out!
Old 09-15-2002, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

What fletching are you using straight, off set or helical and what size vains or feathers.

If you are using straight fletching what could be happening is that the broad head is planing the arrow where as if you put a 6 degree helical on to get the arrow to spin faster out of the bow and it will steer the arrow from the back not the front.

A little bit more info on your set up will help us to work out whats going on.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:57 PM

Ausie-Guy, I'm shooting everything I was last year except new sight,release,& peep! New arrows, same style, 2117 XX75 Eastons. Bow weight about 48 to 50 lbs, Tuned (paper & bare shaft at 5ft, 5yds, 10yds, 20yds,). Thaks Again! Low-Shot

HUNT LONG - HUNT HARD
Old 09-15-2002, 11:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you move your rest left it would only be about 1/32" at the most 2/32"
I was hitting in the same spot as you are. I moved my rest 1/32" and now my b/h's hit in the same spot as my field points out to 50yrds.The arrows fly like darts.
Through paper I have the slightest left tear at 5 feet and bullet holes at 8 feet and beyond.

Old 09-16-2002, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

The key word here is small adjustments. I also prefer helical fletching as it stabilizes the arrow much better with broadheads. With some setups broadheads just won't group with field points, but they group very well. The most important thing is that your broadhead groups are nice close, and about the same size as your field points. If they are you can just move your sights to compensate for the differnt points of impact. Yes it is not really convient, but sometimes it's the only answer unless you can change something in your setup to bring the groups togeter. That may mean a rest change, arrow change, broadhead change etc.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 09-16-2002, 09:54 AM

Thanks Aisie-Guy! I was just scared to get my CENTER-SHOT off after all I went through to get bullet holing. I do what you suggested this morning and it sure as h*** helped! Thanks Again! Low-Shot

HUNT LONG - HUNT HARD
Old 09-16-2002, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Isn't part of the theory with different impact points with broadheads and field tips is the broadheads change the foc of the arrow slightly, causing it to flex off the rest a little differently? This can be eliminated by using a drop away style rest, if planing isn't the issue.