Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadhead vs. Field Point Grouping Problem >

Broadhead vs. Field Point Grouping Problem

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead vs. Field Point Grouping Problem

Old 09-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default Broadhead vs. Field Point Grouping Problem

Okay all you experts out there, help me out.
For some reason I'm having trouble getting my broadheads to hit with and group like my field points. With the FPs I can put 4 in the target with all of the shafts touching each other...exactly where I aim. With my BHs, they are shooting left by about 6" and not grouping nearly as tight as my FPs.
This was not a problem last year and I have not changed a single thing.
If it matters, I'm shooting Muzzy, 100 fixed blades.
Thanks for any help.
Craig
Old 09-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Broadhead vs. Field Point Grouping Problem

I was having the same sort of issue with my BH's. I changed my setup a bit from last year, so I had to do some tweaking. I had to adjust my rest to get the BH's grouping better. For you, I would try moving my rest to the right a fraction and try again (your broadheads should respond more to a the rest move than your field points will). Don't worry about hitting the center of where you are aiming at this point. Adjust your rest until you are getting good groups. Once your groups are good then adjust your sight to get the groups hitting where you are aiming. At least that is what I did with good results. It will be tough to get your BH's to group as tightly as your field points. BH's are more vulunerable to tuning issues, spine, wind, etc.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fillae,
Good points, also BH's will ACCENTUATE form flaws, and unless you have PERFECT form, BH's are NOT going to group as well as FP's unfortunately. But with minor rest adjustments, you should be able to get everything CLOSE. As Fillae said, move the rest in SMALL, TINY increments and re-shoot. Move the rest the direction you want the BH's to go. If you still have issues, it may be SPINE that is creating a problem. Over and Under-spined arrows do not fly nearly as well as an arow that is spined specifically to your DL, DW, and tip weight.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:52 AM
bigcountry

You can try to move your rest to match them up, but it sounds like arrows are a tad stiff.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beyond moving the rest you could dlook at one other problem that a fellow shooter noticed with me. When you shoot your field tips are they going slightly left? Even 1" or so on a few shots? Punching the trigger will cause a person to shoot left. What is only a small issue with FT's can be a big one with BH's.

Also, I'd forget about grouping BH's. You could besubconsciously moving the bow at release to avoid destroying arrows and BH'swhich willcause poor groups. I do it all the time even with FT's. Instead, I'd shoot 1 arrow at a time at different points. Just my $.02
Old 09-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

Beyond moving the rest you could look at one other problem that a fellow shooter noticed with me. When you shoot your field tips are they going slightly left? Even 1" or so on a few shots? Punching the trigger will cause a person to shoot left. What is only a small issue with FT's can be a big one with BH's.

Also, I'd forget about grouping BH's. You could besubconsciously moving the bow at release to avoid destroying arrows and BH'swhich willcause poor groups. I do it all the time even with FT's. Instead, I'd shoot 1 arrow at a time at different points. Just my $.02
Good points Dave!!!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 09:40 PM

I had a very similar problem. I am a novice and I really got my bow shooting great groups out to 40 yds with fp's and bh's. Paper tuning told the story for me. I had no idea that I was actually making matters worse my making adjustments myself. I took it to a bow shop and from there all I had to do was align my vanes to blades to get proper flight. I too shoot muzzy 100''s and at this point in the season, that is all I am practicing with.